Eggsong Trio - Two Hens and a Roo???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tulie13, Nov 29, 2009.

1. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    I was just out at my coop trying to get my EE hen to NOT lay under the roost where all the poop ends up. Unfortunately, I just cleaned up all the poop and put some nice fresh hay down there, so it looks very inviting. I kept picking her up and putting her into a nesting box, which also has some fresh hay. She keeps hopping out and going into the corner. And now my BO roo is helping her, scratching around like he's making a nest FOR her! Dumb roo - I don't want her to lay her eggs where YOU ARE GOING TO POO ON THEM!!! [​IMG]

Anyway, I moved her into the nesting box and left the coop for a minute, then came back and she was in the corner under the roost again. BO roo was with her. There was also a BO hen messing around in the nesting box looking interested in laying an egg in the CORRECT place. So I backed off a little. Next thing I know, I'm hearing the classic egg song. I peek around the corner and it's my ROO doing the song! And the EE hen is looking like she wants to lay in the poop catching hay. I stepped into the coop and just stood there for a minute - then ALL THREE started singing, the BO hen in the nesting box, the EE hen trying to lay under the roost, and the BO roo - all at the same time! [​IMG] It was hilarious! [​IMG] It was like two altos and a tenor... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now I just have to figure out how to keep that darn EE from laying eggs in the poopy hay. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Try putting fake eggs in the nests. golf/ping pong balls. wood or easter eggs.

Good luck

Imp

3. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    I have rocks in there, and everyone ELSE lays in the boxes, but for some reason this darn EE wants to lay on the ground. [​IMG] But the chorus was FUN! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by