Eggsong

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Leah and peeps, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Leah and peeps

Leah and peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Canada
    Hi everyone,

I have about the "eggsong" before.. if thats what it is even called. But what exactly is it? And what does it sound like?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:That is what it's called and it's a riot (to me) every time I hear it! It sounds like the hen is talking in it's own language. Sometimes it goes on and on for quite a while (20 minutes or more!). Some of my girlz do it before they lay an egg, some do it after laying. Some of them don't do it at all.

3. GermanChick

GermanChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2010
    NW Missouri
    BAWK, bawk bawk, BAWK, BAWK ... and on and on and on. You will know it when you hear it. You can't miss it since it is louder than any rooster crowing [​IMG]

4. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    BOK BOK BOK BAGAWK! [​IMG] The one that I have laying doesn't sing though.

5. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    It kind of scared me the first time I heard it [​IMG] I thought something was after them.

6. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    I recorded mine just before and after laying and now have it as my ring tone. Makes me giggle everytime my phone rings! They don't sing it everytime, just once in awhile.

Pre egg song

Post egg song

7. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:Yes!!! My daughter thought something was wrong with the rooster!! It is not as much like a song, more like she is screaming I laid an egg, I laid an egg!!!

8. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    That is exactly it............bawk bawk bawk ba GAWK! bawk bawk bawk ba GAWK! and on and on and on and on and on............! I love to watch them because there will be a chicken in the nest box and 10 chickens all standing around looking at her. Then one of the admirers will start with the egg song and they all join in . Chicken opera is so funny. I've heard the rooster do it too. I don't know why!

If I could get a chicken dictionary........man that would be so awesome!

9. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Quote:Thanks for posting. Now I know what the two songs mean! I have only one laying now but I have been hearing the pre egg song for weeks now!

10. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    When ours do the pre-laying song, it's more like the Get Out Of My Favorite Box song! They usually only do it when another hen is laying. It seems like whichever box the first one is in is the favorite of the day. The post-laying song usually is quite a chorus and makes hens and roosters come running to congratulate!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by