Eggsshell with brown specks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by QHnPPcks, Oct 31, 2016.

1. QHnPPcks

QHnPPcks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    I have two production red hens (what feedstore called them) who lay pretty brown eggs. Occasionally, an egg will have small reddish-brown spots on the shell. Any ideas the reason this occurs?

2. BlueSkyeRanch

BlueSkyeRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    My bantam eggs have those same specks. They are new layers (maybe 2 weeks) so I'm curious too

3. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The section on speckles in that article should also include...sometimes it just happens and it's not a problem.

I have several hens whose speckled eggs change regularly...some who only have speckles part of the time, it's just a pigmentation glitch/variance.

1 person likes this.
  5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    'cause they are chickens, not machines!
    Barring an obvious health problem, its nothing to worry about.
    From time to time they will all lay speckled eggs, bumpy eggs, wrinkled eggs, small eggs, double yolkers, oblong eggs, soft shells, etc.....
    Its all fine.
    Just make sure they are well fed, get enough calcium and lots of water. And enjoy the variation.

1 person likes this.
  6. BlueSkyeRanch

BlueSkyeRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Everyone is so helpful, thank you [​IMG]

7. QHnPPcks

QHnPPcks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    I feel better now; thanks to all for taking the time to answer. I did read the entire article, and it was informative and reassuring. Love my girls and try to give them good care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by