eggtopsy - guinea eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by featherz, Jul 1, 2010.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I candled my guinea eggs today at day 14 and tossed five out - 4 were clear, and upon breaking looked to be either infertile or just non starters. One (which looked to have a possible blood ring) had a tiny line of blood about 1/2 inch long and a slight bit of 'fuzz' about an inch long but no obvious embryo that I could see - I assume it was probably in there with the fuzz but I was scared to open the baggie in case of a 'bomb' odor. [​IMG] I've never done this before - can I assume that at halfway through incubation the guinea would be further along or did I kill an egg?

There was no veining on the egg - it appeared much clearer than my other eggs when candling.

Next time I'll toss later, but as a newbie I'm too scared of 'bombs'. I had another 'almost clear' but not sure enough on that one to toss it so I'll just keep an eye on it. I'm planning to check them again at lockdown.

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Halfway through any egg's incubation you will see definite veining and embryo. If you have to question whether or not something was growing at halfway through the incubation, nothing was growing. At least, nothing you wanted in your incubator... If anything *was* growing in that egg, it either died VERY early on or was bacterial in nature; I know for chickens, you can see a clear embryo in an eggtopsy after just a couple days.

Also, if you happen to do eggtopsies later on, please do take pictures and post them up here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=363717&p=1

3. I broke a chicken egg at 5 days to see if there was any development in any of my eggs... You would have seen something like this when you broke your guinea egg, if indeed it was growing.

[​IMG]

Your egg was definitely a non-starter; don't feel sad. [​IMG]

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Awesome, thanks! No, I saw nothing like that. Just one red line and a bit of something else,but no mass of veins anywhere else! Whew. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by