Eggtopsy... Help understanding what's going wrong! Yes there are photos and they're pretty clear and

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eksterhuis, Dec 22, 2012.

1. eksterhuis

eksterhuis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Hello, I am new to opening up my non hatchers... I always see to get about 1/3 die after lockdown. I have decided to investigate.

So these are 3 that are from my latest hatch, a belgian, a faverolles and a polish... all from different, some 2 are shipped eggs and one is from my breeders.

It appears the inner membrane is tight and full of fluid. The yolk is almost absorbed on all of them. Is this too high humidity though out the incubation period? I had it lower for my last hatch and only had 1 out of 30 hatch so I increased it back to 45-55% which is what this hatch was at.

I'm not going to ever get better hatches if I can't understand what is going on!

Please help!

Faverolles egg 1
    [​IMG]

Faverolles egg 1
    [​IMG]
    Faverolles egg 1

[​IMG]

Belgian egg 2
    [​IMG]

Polish egg 3
    [​IMG]

Polish egg 3
    [​IMG]

Polish egg 3
    [​IMG]

Polish egg 3
    [​IMG]

Polish egg 3
    [​IMG]

Polish egg 3
    [​IMG]

Thank you...​

2. ash11

ash11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    PA
    I'm new to hatching myself. I don't know what went wrong but hopefully someone else can help you so this doesn't happen again. Good luck with future hatches.

3. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012

Thank you :)

My initial thoughts are that the humidity is too high for the first 18 days but when I reduced it (as I tried that for last weeks hatch) only 1 out of 30 hatched they all died much earlier on... weird!

4. namastemama

namastemama Chillin' With My Peeps

I hatch at 30% humidity frost 18 days and 55-60% for lock down, I'm no expert though.

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Hello [​IMG] I am so sorry about your hatch!

First, can you post some info on your incubator, thermometers, hygrometers and what temps you hold and humidity?

I will do my best to put you on the right track! But more info is needed

Shrink wrapped: before pipping, membranes dry tight around the chick; caused by too little humidity throughout incubation

HOWEVER: I will also question if you have calibrated your thermostats as well as hygrometers...

6. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    I have a Borotto 49 (Italian made). I have a Brindsea themometer that is accurate to 0.1 degrees which I use to double check everything. The incubator has a few hot/cool patched but runs between 37.2-37.9 degrees with most of it at 37.7 (all celcius) Humidity is 55%. At lockdown I transfer eggs to a rotohatch 'octogon' style hatcher. Temp is a steady 37 degrees and humidity 65-75% depending on how many wet chicks are in it! I tend to get a relatively drawn out hatch too...

As said I tried reducing my first 18 days humidity to about 35% and had 1 out of 30 hatch... I did my first eggtopsy then with my dad (he just kinda minced his way in so thought I would brave it myself this time!)

It's day 22 now and still pipping going on, just checked a few eggs and these were obviously dead so I removed them... Just had another chick hatch so not all eggs seem to be effected... If there is anything else you need to know I'll see what I can do :) Just would love one day to have one of those infamous 100% hatches and I have a way to go before I get there! But just chancing it isn't going to make things better!

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    are the eggs shipped or your own? I am still questioning that temp and hygrometer....

why do you move the eggs to hatch? just wondering... I need to think some more...but here is some reads for ya!

I do the dry incubation --- here is a good read as well..... https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  8. eksterhuis

Jan 7, 2012
    I move eggs to hatch every week as I do not hatch in the Borotto, that way I can hatch about 15-20 chicks most weeks rather than having a huge hatch every 3 weeks. Means I can candle and remove dud eggs and always run the Borotto full.

The thermometer is correct and I have 2 different hygrometers, one digital and one dial that read the same.

I have read all of those articles/posts and at 35% humidity (my last hatch) is basically a dry hatch I had 1 out of 30 hatch... I have done A LOT of reading to work out what is going wrong and had no luck which is why I am asking for specific help rather than just continuing to read and get nowhere!

Thanks

9. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    hope you figure out what is actually wrong, because it sounds like a biggun

10. nothingbutbirds

nothingbutbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    did you candle before opening them up. sticky chicks can be caused by to or to low humidity, the fluid you speak of is most likely the albumen that was not completely absorbed. how do you disinfect your hatcher, that can have a huge affect on your hatcher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by