Eggtopsy results

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bantam girls, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Bantam girls

Bantam girls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    My eggs were due to hatch on Sunday. Only one hatched and she was fine. I performed an eggtopsy today and it appears as though one was a little developed like 16 days, another like 14 days and the last one was fully developed but didn't absorb the yolk. Any ideas what could have happened? The most developed was not shrink wrapped in the membrane so I guess the humidity was ok. I want to incubate again but not until I know what I did wrong. When I candled them on the 17th day they were all alive. Thank you for your input

2. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Sometimes if there is a genetic defect in the embryo they will quit at a certain point during incubation. I took photographs of the quitters from my first hatch and posted them here with what my feelings were as to why they did not hatch. Be warned, the images are graphic . But seeing as you've already done something similar, I don't think they will be shocking for you to look at.

3. Bantam girls

Bantam girls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    Thank you so much for posting the pictures. I was crying too hard to get pictures of mine before they made their way to the pet cemetery. Two were blob like and my full developed looked like yours with the yolk sac. Mine did not appear to have any deformities though so maybe I will just try again with better eggs. Thank you for sharing I appreciate it.

4. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I'm very glad you found it useful. I wouldn't fret over the results of your first hatch. It happens. Some quitters are just nature's way of not bringing a baby into the world that would suffer greatly because of its deformities. They're in a better place. [​IMG] And it's nice that you gave them a burial. Good luck with your next hatch, and if you have any questions, please feel free to post them on the board!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by