eggtopsy......rotten egg??????

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
ive read stories about exploding eggs and even thought id come across one (last hatch one egg was 'hissing' and oozing so i threw it out, it was full of putrid runny yellow/brown liquid)
but today i came across a totally different rotten egg. all eggs hatched yesterday barr this one, and momma hen had started peeling the shell off so i took it away to inspect it.
it was a heavy egg so i presumed a chick was in there, but saw no movement so decided to do an eggtopsy to see what went wrong. i first carefully peeled the shell off to find the membrane intact...hmm chick didnt get so far as oo pip the membrane i thought. i could see something solid and coloured under the membrane so went to peel that off. and here i was struck with the worse smell i have ever smelt in my entire life (worse than the liquidy-goo rotten egg) i was instantly heaving.
inside was a solidish mass..only comparable to cottage cheese. it was blue/green/white in colour. no sign of any yolk or 'normal' looking inside of egg bits. just green/blue/white cheesy stuff..was this then a true rotten egg or did something go terribmy wrong somewhere down the line????

It sounds like the egg started to develop and then died about midway in it's development. So it would smell even worse than a egg that never started to develop.

do you know anyway i can get rid of the smell? its hanging around even though the egg is gone......? air freshners are not touching the aroma(!)

Last edited:
Eggs lose weight as they develop. I can tell a mostly-developed egg from a fresh laid one by picking it up. If the egg is heavy by the end of incubation, I'd only eggtopsy it outside - if at all!

Quote:
well you learn something new every day! i'll know now for future reference..thanks!

Back
Top Bottom