Eggwith holding after worming question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BeccaSmith, Feb 18, 2012.

1. BeccaSmith

BeccaSmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    I'm not sure if I am posting this question in the correct area, or if I even worded my title correctly. My question is NOT a how long to withhold from eating eggs after worming with Valbazen, I know the answer is 14 days. My question is can I toss the innards of the egg in the trash and keep the egg shells for composting? Is it safe? Would really much of the Valbazen get into the ground from the egg shells and if so how bad would it be? I only have 5 hens right now so we are not talking about many eggs, maybe 4 dozen total? I just hate the thought of completely waisting the eggs and was hoping I could at least save the shells to put into the compost pile. TIA!

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Tia, I don't know if it affects the shells, personally I don't worm. I would say since the shell is made as the egg is being laid, that the poison would still be on it. As for putting it into the compost, I would see no problem with it, unless as with my birds they like my compost, then they would be eating it. All heck maybe you should just wait for someone that does worm. Sorry I replied, just hate to see an unanswered thread.
    Michele

3. BeccaSmith

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    Thanks for trying to help! Also, I had to giggle, TIA stands for Thanks In Advanced!

4. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    My bad, I have a niece named Tia. I'm no good at short hand. I just sit there and stare at things till I figure it out or just ask.

5. Yoke

Yoke Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2012
    I fed my eggs and shells back to the birds. I don't see how it would hurt the birds -- After a straight dose of the poison, the diluted wormer in the eggs won't hurt them.

I also don't believe the diluted meds in the eggs is going to be significant enough to extend the withhold time. Maybe if you saved up all the eggs from week one and fed them on day 14, it might spike enough trace amounts for detection. I feed the eggs from day on day two and the eggs from day two on day three and so on . . . .

By day 13, the eggs are almost pure enough for human consumption. At most, it would only add a day to the withhold period.

I'm just using uneducated logic here -- so I welcome responses to why I'm wrong.

Another alternative would be to do the higher temp composing. That should kill/decompose a lot more.

6. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You are reintroducing them to the wormer and would have to wait. But if it didn't harm you when you ate it then all is good for you. For me not so much.

7. BeccaSmith

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    No worries, after you had used the name Tia I thought to myself, now that would be a pretty name to name girl! I don't have any kids yet, so it is a name to keep in mind for someday down the road!

8. BeccaSmith

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    So it is probably best not to add the shells only to the compost pile then?

9. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I would just put them in your compost. But like I said before I don't worm my worms and have never had this issue. ( To be honest I feel like I would be poisoning my birds without cause. But that is in my head and a lot of peeps worm 2X's a year) Michele

10. BeccaSmith

Apr 9, 2011
    Meridian, ID
    I'm not poisoning without a cause, I took a fecal sample in and it tested positive for roundworm and tapeworm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by