1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eglu cube question about run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by uc4tuna, Mar 19, 2012.

1. uc4tuna

uc4tuna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    Daly City, Ca
    Hi everyone! Complete newbie here, hoping for some advice.

I just bought a used eglu cube with a 3-meter run. I don't have any chickens yet, they're next on the list. =) My question is, is the 9' run big enough for 3-4 chickens to spend most of their time? It's about 9' x 3', so less than the recommended 10' per square feet if I get 4 chickens. I plan to let them free range a little in my garden while I'm home (probably about an hour 3-4 days per week, but probably no time outside of the run on the long days that I'm at work).

I'm also worried about how difficult it will be to clean the run - it will have to stay in one spot rather than being tractored around, and it is a first edition cube so it has a tiny door on the end of the run. Basically, I'm trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and just build a larger 6'x8' walk-in run attached to the cube to begin with, or if I should try using the run that came with the cube first.

One other option - I do have a side yard (probably 10'x40') that I could convert to a secure run for them to hang out in during the day, but it is right next to the neighbors' house and I'm worried that once the chickens eat all the weeds that are there, it will turn into a big smelly muddy mess that the neighbors will complain about. Plus I would have to shoo the chickens back and forth between the eglu and the side yard every morning and night (because I can't put the coop that close to the neighbors). We do have hawks, raccoons, skunks, possums, feral cats here so I want the chickens to be in a safe run while I'm not watching them.

Thanks!

2. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    I make my own movable runs that are very secure. I live in a heavy raccoon and opossum area. There are made out of 2"x4" welded wire fencing. The runs are made in pieces 5'x5', but can be size to fit how wide of fencing you buy. Even long runs are easy to move and you can vary the lengths to suite you needs. The bottoms are open for the chickens so they can do what chickens like to best, dig.
    [​IMG]
    In my default album you can see different combination of these pieces put together and how you can cover them even in windy places.
    These runs are made with a wire cutter, some zip ties and hog rings. They're even shaped like and eglu.

3. uc4tuna

uc4tuna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2012
    Daly City, Ca
    Wow those look very secure! I don't think any predators would be able to get in there. Perfect for tractoring around if only I had more land (we just have a large backyard in a suburban area).

I think for now I will try out the run that came with the cube, and if it seems too cramped I will upgrade to a larger walk-in run later on.

Has anyone ever tried using sand in the cube run (or in a run that's meant to be tractored but is stationary)? From what I've read on this forum, sand may be the way to go, especially if it's going to be difficult to clean out the inside of the run since the door is so tiny.

4. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    They must look big in the photo's. If you moved them with a tractor you would crush them. They weight a bit more than a bag of feed and cost about $5.00 each in materials. There a bit wider than the eglu is all, but not as tall.

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I think it's fine to start out with the run that comes with the Cube and then decide if, for ease of use, you'd like a walk in run. I started with an Eglu Go with attached run and now have two Go houses with a 9'x12' walk in run because I wanted more space, a secure environment for when the girls can't free range, and to connect the two spaces. Our chicken ownership has been an evolution figuring out what works best for us after using things for a while.

6. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    First and most important. The Eglu coop is not big enough for 4 hens. They will cram in there if that is the only place they have.
    But, if you get snow in the winter they can be stuck in the coop for days.

Second.
    I put my old coop on the side of my house. it was 7x30. The neighbors kitchen was about 7-8 feet beyond the fence.
    Never an issue or complaint. We invited them to bring the kids over to see the girls.
    That much space and they will not make a stinky mess.
    In the little Eglu run they will be down to dirt and poop in a couple days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by