1. srothove

srothove Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    I am considering purchasing an Eglu Cube. I live in Durango, Colorado, and my current coop is too small and not well made.

Will those who have purchased the Eglu Cube please respond with the pros/ cons, how long shipping took, and how the Cube is doing over time. I would especially like to hear from other people living in Colorado - how do these fare in the snow, the sun?

Thank you!
    -Proud chicken mama of three beautiful girls

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. srothove

Nov 5, 2011
    I found that thread, thank you.

I am hoping to get some real insight from someone with experience with these coops in the colder climates. Maybe someone who has had one for a year or so. I am wondering how draft proof and warm they really are...

4. peachachecha

peachachecha Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I don't have a cube but an eglu go. This is my first winter. I have had the eglu go since August 9th. I really like the go. It is so easy to clean. I have two Black Marans and and Isa Brown. I think the hens like it too. I say that because my Marans just started laying Oct 21st and in the last 5 days I have gotten 8 eggs. The Isa is just at POL so she should be starting soon. I am a single lady and was able to put the go together by myself. I would think the cube is just as good. I have read that the eglu products don't have as much problems with lice and mites because there is no place for them to hide in. Hope that helps somewhat.

5. egglicious

egglicious Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    I have an eglu cube and love it. I live in the NW so it's a little milder here and this will be the first winter i've had it, so unfortunately not much to offer in first hand experience. I do know someone with an eglu that lives in boston and I know it gets crazy cold up there so I think you would be fine. It is sooo easy to clean and amazingly predator proof when locked up. The only thing I would say is the run is not very good quality for the price. Hope that helps!

6. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    Hello srothove!
    I am just down in Farmington.
    The Eglu gets great reviews from all I have read.
    It is however, Very small! and Very Expensive!

Width: 3 feet, 11 inches
    Depth: 2 feet, 9 1/2 inches
    That is about 10.77 square feet. 1/3rd of which is taken up by the nest box. Leaving about 8sf of living space.
    8sf is just barely enough space for 2 hens in an area that gets moderate snow. (They claim that it will house up to 10 chickens but that is complete Bull Puckey!)
    With the Snow you get you want to make sure the hens have plenty of room inside the coop.

How many Hens do you have?
    Do you want and or need it to be tractor-able?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  7. srothove

Nov 5, 2011
    Hmm, the size of the Eglu is quite small.

I have three hens right now, an Orp (Drumstick), an Americauna (Nugget), and a Barred Rock (Stew). My boyfriend insisted we name them after food so I wouldn't get attached. His plan backfired and now I have three sweet hens, one of which likes to be held in my arms.

So...I really need it to be predator proof, warm enough, and adequate for perhaps, up to 8-10 hens. [​IMG] (Don't tell the boyfriend).

It doesn't need to be tractorable. I like easy to clean, not infested with lice or mites.

The cheesy one I bought online is small and not made well at all, so now it is time to shop for a new one.

8. chicks4erin

chicks4erin Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Chicago Suburb
    srothove - did you ever decide to get the cube? I'm contemplating an Eglu as well.

9. dtimms

dtimms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    NJ
    I have a cube and LOVE it. We started with an ark we built from plans. It was OK, but didn't have much room up top for my girls (RIR, BR, BO). The top is not super spacious, so I don't think I would put more than a max of 5-6 larger chickens in there. The entire floor is the "roost", so they can sit anywhere. I got an extension to the run so I've got about 8 feet--but would add more if I had many more chickens. I've found it to be relatively sturdy and it is just so easy to maintain. Because it's plastic, you can just dump out and hose off the droppings trays, and it opens up nice and wide to make it easy to really keep it neat. We had a mild winter here in NJ this year so I can't attest to how it would fare in really cold weather, but prior to purchasing I looked around on here and someone had posted a pic of theirs covered in snow and doing just fine! I find it to be relatively easy to move--just push the wheels down, which elevates the coop and the run. Steering is clumsy, but I can move it alone which is nice. No problem putting it in the garage for the hurricane last summer. I have had no issues with predators in my yard (knock wood!!!), but based on the construction I do believe it would hold up and the covered run is an advantage to prevent hawk attacks.

Downsides: It is definitely expensive, and for the price it arrived at the greyhound terminal a little scuffed up. Not damaged, but for $1000 I expected perfection! (Also pick up at greyhound was not easy in our area--picture double-parking the SUV on a busy street in downtown Atlantic City, NJ and making several trips out with giant boxes with no help). It also was a bit of a pain to put it together. The interior size is of course not expandable, but the run is. The food and water containers are just OK-- I don't like the water being so wide open from above. However, they do hold enough for several days. Also-- the ladder to the coop does not go all the way to the ground. I'm not sure if bantams, etc would be able to hop up there?

Overall, if you don't mind paying for it and are only planning to keep about 6 larger chickens, I highly recommend!!! (With run extensions and/or smaller birds, might be able to add a chicken or two.) I went with it because I do not enjoy the maintenance, and it's really terrific in that regard. Two seconds just to empty the dropping trays into a trash bag; maybe 20 minutes for a full thorough clean of the trays, floor, and nest box. My girls seem very happy.

Hope this helps!

10. sane cat lady

sane cat lady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2013
    thank you all for the info i have been looking for a used eglu

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by