Eglu go question

dorklandresident

Songster
Nov 30, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
For those of you that have eglu go's, what do you use for nesting material in the nesting corner of the go?

I just have been using shavings. Is there something better?

Also, they have not started laying yet. I just put the golf balls in there to show them where to go when the time comes.

Attachments

• IMG_20211231_084803.jpg
    IMG_20211231_084803.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 45
I have the Eglu Cube large that I have four chickens in. I use pine shavings and they seem to like it. There are nesting matts that you can buy, but they are not as soft as the shavings.

You can always try the nesting matt with the shavings on top, or just the shavings by themselves. It's all about trying different options and see what works best for your flock.

I might try straw. I don't have an Iglu go, but do see you concern. Shavings are supposed to pack down and be hard on ducks feet. Of course, were talking about chickens, but I'm sure it has the same affect. Straw is supposed to be good alternative to straw. Vets say its much better on their feet and can prevent bumble foot. Maybe straw or hay would be a better alternative for your. I use Flock fresh for my ducks and chickens.

I might try straw. I don't have an Iglu go, but do see you concern. Shavings are supposed to pack down and be hard on ducks feet. Of course, were talking about chickens, but I'm sure it has the same affect. Straw is supposed to be good alternative to straw. Vets say its much better on their feet and can prevent bumble foot. Maybe straw or hay would be a better alternative for your. I use Flock fresh for my ducks and chickens.
I might try that. I suspect my chickens will play with it though. Where would I find a small quantity of straw? I don't want to buy a bunch of it in case it doesn't work

I might try that. I suspect my chickens will play with it though. Where would I find a small quantity of straw? I don't want to buy a bunch of it in case it doesn't work
Hmm, if you have any friends with horses you could probably ask them if you could take a handful/bag full of hay for your chickens. Its such a small amount I doubt they would mind. Or if your feed store sells bales of hay or straw, maybe see if you could buy/take some loose hay or straw off their hands. I bet a local hay barn would let you do that.
They do like to scratch around in it initially, but I find that mine loose interest in it within the day. Maybe if you just prepare to clean out the coop the next day, then add a bit more straw it might work.

I've got one, I use whatever I've got at the time, bark, straw, hay, dry grass clipping or shavings. They do chuck it around a bit but never had any issues, no broken eggs. When the eglu is open and part of the free range quite a few of my hens will choose to lay in there instead of their main coop, so it must be good!

What do you use for bedding? I have nesting mats in their boxes. They like to fluff the mat spirals up, then add some shavings from the rest of the coop floor. They make themselves a nice nest.

Also, they have not started laying yet. I just put the golf balls in there to show them where to go when the time comes.
I don't have an eglu, but I'd almost guarantee that when they start laying they will kick those balls and any kind of bedding all over the place.
It's just too shallow, and they can get quite rowdy arranging the nests as they learn to lay.

Back
Top Bottom