Egyptian duck

HooverHenHouse

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Michigan
Someone around here posted an Egyptian Duck on craigslist, and I am looking for a duck to add to our family-Can anyone tell me more about them, I can't seem to find much. Are they a fragile breed (I'm located in MI, our weather is unpredictble)

Egyptians are Geese not ducks. They are small relative to other geese breeds ... about the size of a Rouen or other large duck breeds. They are beautiful fowl but very very agressive. I had a pr of them land on my pond this spring and terrified my flock of 8 Rouens before thankfully leaving after about a two week stay. They are also rare and very expensive and can fly and would soon fly off w/o wings clipped. So I would not recommend purchase.

I was reading in my Storey's breed guide that these guys (a goose breed) are aggressive and best kept away from other ducks and geese because of this. If you have other birds- I personally wouldn't get them.

Thanks for all the input, The craigslist add had a picture, and advertised them as an egyptian duck, $5 call for more info. I started researching them as geese, and found they are agressive..something I defentily dont want to put with my tame chickens and ducks, or have around my toddler. I deffenilty wont be buying them. Unfortunley I really need 1-2 more female ducks to even out my male ratio and can't find anything in MI thats not a runner or muscovy.

Back
Top Bottom