Egyptian Geese? (pic)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by BellLisamo, Jan 21, 2010.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Does anyone have any of these? Are they rare??? I found some that are up for adoption, and I wanted to know a bit about them?
    How is their demeanor?

Here is the pic of them

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Without knowing anything about raising geese - I say a big YES because the images on google are PRETTY! [​IMG]

3. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:HAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was reading about them, and see they are very mean. But the ones available are babies.... sooooo some imprinting and love... [​IMG] Maybe I can keep them nice. lol

4. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

The one book I have that mentions them says their mean and shouldn't be with other birds when brooding. Sorry I can't help you more, I'll try to find where I put the book to find more info.

5. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:Yes, I just read that on a wesbite. That wouldn't he hard. I have a pen with a pond, they could be secluded. [​IMG] They are sooooo pretty and nearly FREE. They are a male and female!

6. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    I love their markings, esp. their face!![​IMG]

7. The Friendly Goose

The Friendly Goose Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2009
    those are actually a pretty rare breed i believe

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Im not sure but even if there not, theres no better place than being with you!!!! [​IMG]

9. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    I love them! But, it is said they are very aggressive to other waterfowl. I would do some research.

10. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Found the book (Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds) the birds match the picture in it. Going to try to shorten the good parts to post:
    -Says their eggs are rounder then most bird eggs and where associated with the sun god Ra.
    -Says their semi-domesticated birds that should be left to serious fanciers.
    -Are among the most aggressive and bad-tempered of all breeds during breeding season, are outlawed to own in Oregon and possible other places due to their invasive and aggressive nature.
    -Pairs create strong bond and are good parents, but will attack other birds (even of their own kind) and destroy eggs of other birds.
    -Are excellent fliers, so wing clipping is a common chore among those who raise them.
    -Also they where first admitted to the APA
    I'll try to look though it more to find anything useful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by