egyptian geese /

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by billson1, Nov 22, 2007.

1. billson1

billson1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    lecenter minnesota
    what do they like to eat and what can i feed them i am giving them corn right now it is getting cold here in MN

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm confused...you own a goose but don't know what it eats? How does the temp going down play into this?

3. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    I am in east central Iowa and you get a little colder then I do. I have 6 geese and they get corn, hay, different corn and rice based cereals, my kids are always forgetting to close the box and then it goes stale, chex, corn flakes, chereos. I also have a ground feed done from the local feed mill. It contains 300 lbs of corn and 200 lbs of poultry layer feed that are ground and mixed together. Give it a nice shelter with lots of straw and a mix and you should be fine Also make sure it has open water each day. Jenn

4. Kristina

Kristina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I might get a gamebird feed for them...depending on their age as to what kind. Egyptian geese are beautiful.

5. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    They are very nice looking!! Do you have a pair or just one? How old is it and how big? Gamebird feed would be great for them, just make sure that you dont buy medicated food for them, not good at all. If you ever have eggs to sell I would love to get some. Jenn

6. billson1

billson1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    lecenter minnesota
    Quote:well egyptian are different then your normal goose and the temp going down if you give them corn they will be warmer by the fat from corn i know their diet in the wild is different but do not know exactly what they eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    jkcove08 i have a breeding pair of 3 year olds

7. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Thx for that! I am clueless re: geese but glad to see you got some expert advice here. :)Good luck w/ your EGs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by