Eh, this whole greeting business

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by whiteflare, Jun 21, 2011.

1. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    I've taken a shine to welcoming new members in the Intros section. [​IMG]
    I feel like a right dunce though: am I doing something wrong? I actually enjoy typing out really long posts for the newbies, thinking of something interesting to say on all those threads.
    I see a lot of other people just type '[​IMG]' on the threads. I feel like an idiot because my posts are so long. Is there any way we're 'supposed' to do this greeting? [​IMG]

2. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    nope. i dont really say hello so you're already one step ahead of me. Perhaps you can think of something cute and/or funny to say?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Not at all. Type away. I read a post today from someone with only a few posts, talking about how nicely she was welcomed.

4. whiteflare

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Great! [​IMG]

It's something I like about the newbies, they appreciate it when you go to the length to chat to them.
    Cute or funny? Hmm, I guess I could, but I suck at humour. My attempts come out quite lamely [​IMG] I try to say something different for every one of the threads though.

5. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Quote:I do too. [​IMG] I want them to see what a great community we have here! [​IMG]
    I haven't been doing much lately, due to gardening and LOTS of other things going on [​IMG] but I do it when I get a chance-even if it is only one or two a day.

6. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    I don't do much of a welcome wagon.

Would you believe I'm actually a shy, quiet person? But I do pop
    over and take a look once in a while.

I prefer the "longer" posts...in whatever I'm reading. Makes a conversation
    so much easier to have.

Spook...the quiet member here

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Yes. It's in fine print in the Swahili language and can be found in the darkest corners of the BYC instructions page. But since none of us has ever found it, we can say whatever we want!

Some people may be on BYC for only a moment between chores, so if all they can post is a WELCOME smilie, that's okay. Others can find something in common with a new poster, so they can add more. As long as we're friendly, it doesn't matter how long or short our welcomes are. Whiteflare, you do a good job.

8. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    No theres nothing wrong with that at all! I loved getting long posts welcoming me here! [​IMG]

9. whiteflare

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Quote:Yes. It's in fine print in the Swahili language and can be found in the darkest corners of the BYC instructions page. But since none of us has ever found it, we can say whatever we want!

Some people may be on BYC for only a moment between chores, so if all they can post is a WELCOME smilie, that's okay. Others can find something in common with a new poster, so they can add more. As long as we're friendly, it doesn't matter how long or short our welcomes are. Whiteflare, you do a good job.

[​IMG]
    Yeah, like right now I'm pretty busy and can't write long posts or I'll get distracted from what I'm supposed to be doing [​IMG]
    I'll save the greeting for when I have time to sit down and write proper long rambles [​IMG]

Spook, I agree, I reckon 1,000 posts of decent length where people have taken the time to put their thoughts to words is better than, say, 10, 000 impulse one-word posts. Just my opinion.

And it's nice hearing from the newbies [​IMG] Hello, schwartz!

10. CherokeeTradition

CherokeeTradition Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Yay another wordy person, lol. Personally I think it is quite nice as well as thoughtful for you to take the time & comment welcoming them like you have been doing! -coughs- Not to mention if the poster is a bit shy like me it helps draw them out more, at least it does me. Kudos for you!-smiles-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by