Eieieiei!!! Humidity Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by McCord6, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Today I been reading the humidity level and it's sticking at 60 to 70% humdity. I thought something was wrong with my hygrometer so I asked a friend to come over and bring hers. Sure enough, her's is reading the SAME THING! We have taken out ALL the water that was in the bator but it only dropped a few numbers. I had 2 other friends, neighbors, let me borrow theirs (they are currently not using the bators) but still, all are exact same numbers!
    Any ideas of what I can do? I know the humidity isn't supposed to be up that high until I go into lockdown which isn't until THURSDAY!

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    BREATHE! How long has it been high? Fortunately, humidity is fine so long as it averages out (for the 18 days pre-lockdown) to be where you want it. Thus, if it just spiked today or yesterday, you should be okay. Take out all your vent plugs if you have them, and run a dehumidifier in the room if you have one.

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yup. i agree. don't panic.

what species and breed are you hatching?

4. I been keeping an eye on it since last night. It been at 57% from 9pm to about 5 this morning, I took out the 1st bowl of water (yes I been up most of the night) then I finally fell asleep at 5am then woke up by the kids at about 9am and it was 64%, I took out the 2nd bowl but that didn't work, still didn't drop down. We also took out the water out of the rings. I have all vents open and fans in the kitchen.
    The temp is at 101 to 102* which is correct for a still-air bator.
    Florida Humidity is a real pain in the butt!
    Im thinking about moving them to the livingroom, where it is less hot and muggy, but Im afraid the kids or the dogs might get into them.
    They are sceduled for lockdown on Wednesday/Thursday.

There are a big mix in there. Some RIR, some EE, some of others, not sure what kinds.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  5. Hubby just put a small window ac unit in the diningroom to try to keep it down. Just now he went to check on them for me (Im NOT feeling good lately) and said that the temp has now spiked to 104*

The Florida heat and humidity right now is driving me NUTS!

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Oh, goodness....crossed fingers they do okay for you! Sounds like you've had a challenge with this hatch! You can only do what you can do....hope you're feeling better soon! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by