Eight Belles

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicknmania, May 3, 2008.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    How sickening. What a special horse she must've been. And it's too bad the the Kentucky Derby has had two tragedies back to back. Maybe the trainers and organizers should start thinking about racing these horses when they are a little older and maybe have a bit more bone mass?

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

It's very sad indeed. [​IMG] It's a pretty big problem now with thoroughbreds. The breeders focus on which ones can run the fastest, they don't care weather or not they have terribly joints or weak bones. There are so many bone breaks during racing every day.. It makes me so sad.

3. Sparklecoon

Sparklecoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    North Carolina
  4. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    I thought that was absolutely tragic. The poor horse .

5. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    It's a dirt track not a synthetic one. Synthetic tracks reduce deadly injuries. The Derby needs to change. Run free Belle

6. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    RIP girl.

7. ratlummountain

ratlummountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    barkhamsted, CT
    i hate to see this happen.
    chances are though it's not going to change a darn thing in the racing industry.

i'm glad though that they euthanized her quickly and took her out of her pain.

RIP ~ little filly

8. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    What a beautiful little girl and how tragic. I honestly, never really thought she's make it as tough competitor come the backstretch. I guess it goes to show just how much heart races like this take and how odds can turn in an instant. I really cannot believe she was able to make it across the finish line - wow.

See, what just tears me about Thoroughbred racing in particular is that breeders are now breeding either for really thin, light, smaller bones density or they are breeding for tall, big strided, heavily muscled horses to race. If you look back at the "original" TBs, they were smaller and stockier, definitely way more proportioned... but now in trying to obtain a lighter, more aerodynamic, big strided horse...they are actually breeding them to be more fragile and grueling races definitely have a huge detrimental effect on their bodies - the constant concussion from their hooves pounding the track, the speed, the weight - there's really nothing there to support them and it's just a matter of time before something happens; they're either going to break down or retire with soundness issues.

And, yes, it doesn't help that they are only 3 years old...Thoroughbreds are slower breed to mature anyways...I don't see why they have to be pushed that hard that early in life.

I do have to say that Big Brown did impress me... I didn't really think much of him, only running 3 times before the Derby, regardless of all that was raving about him, but if I had to pick a horse that I think would have the biggest chance of breaking down it would be him - did anyone else hear about his foot condition? He needs special shoes that cost about $200 dollars a piece or else he gets huge quarter cracks in his hooves and is dead lame. I really hope to see a Triple Crown Winner in my lifetime, so I'll root for him anyways... (I really thought Barbaro could have done it, but there's those accidents again...).

RIP Eight Belles [​IMG]

9. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    I'm just glad they put her out of her misery quickly, instead of putting her through all the torture that Barbero had to endure.

As much as I love horses, I will never be a racing fan.

RIP Beautiful Belle

10. Coco

Coco Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2008
    DEVASTING! She was my favorite from the start, so beautiful and graceful. It's more than tragic, every time it's brought up on TV, I have to change the channel so not to relive that horrible moment. I said a short, special prayer for her the moment I heard the news while watching the Derby, God bless her sweet, innocent soul.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by