1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eight girls??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bygrace53, Feb 21, 2014.

1. bygrace53

bygrace53 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2013
    I have 8 (hopefully pullets) that are 20 and 19 weeks old. I have never had chickens before, so I'm anxious. Can anyone tell me if these are pullets? My heart will be broken if anyone has to go away.

This is Lily. She loves to stand on me... my back, my foot, my lap. Sweetheart.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is her sister Zsa Zsa... She is much larger than any of the others, but the crown seems smaller. She's a bit distant.
    [​IMG]
    This is Jezebel. She was initially a bully but has mellowed to a really cool chick. She has a funky beard. Her tail is perky. Two photos...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is her sister... BERNADETTE. She is shy and darling.
    [​IMG]

This is Gracie and her sister Penny...very needy and darling. Must have lots and lots of attention.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Pearl. She loves to sit on my lap and is quiet.
    [​IMG]

It this is a tiny darting nut case, Fiona.
    [​IMG]

Alright. That is all my girls... let me know what you think!!!

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Not sure about Lily or Gracie but the rest are pullets. Gracie needs someone that knows that coloring to tell, it's a very hard color to tell even for the most experienced people because it tricks the eye. I wouldn't say roo just yet, I'm just not so sure on them.

3. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    They all are cute birds but I don't think they are all girls (pullets). First we need to know how old they are. Second,you really need to take closer up pictures of their heads from the front showing combs and also side views so we can see neck and back and tail feather development as well as legs. So far Lily is looking rooish..pointy hackle feathers and what looks like curving greenish tail feathers coming in and maybe even some saddle feathers? Zsa Zsa..curved tail feathers rooish? Don't know if roo just from pic. Jezebel.. I am thinking Easter Egger pullet because of the single row on her pea comb. Bernadette same as Jezebel but need a better picture from the front showing the comb for confirmation. Gracie and Penny are maybe pullets but need better side view of them both. Pearl is looking rooish with that pea comb looking like it has more than 1 row of vertical "peas" so a better picture of the comb from the front is needed also a better side view because it looks like she has rooish pointy hackle feathers but I can't see the saddle or tail feather development. Fiona looks like she has rooish pointy hackle feathers but a better picture showing her side view is needed as well as a front view showing her comb because I can't see if it is 1 single vertical row of peas or 3 rows.
    So the tally so far (and not set in stone and very flexible until better pics are up) is:
    Lilly- Roo?
    Zsa Zsa- Roo?
    Jezebel-EE Pullet (90% sure)
    Bernadette- EE Pullet (90% sure)
    Gracie- Pullet?
    Penny-Pullet?
    Pearl- Roo?
    Fiona-Roo?

4 roos and 4 pullets?

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Zsa Zsa is the only one I am questioning, all thew rest look like pullets
    If it makes you feel any better I can tell you that Jezebel and Bernadette are pullet, no doubt. You will NEVER have a male EE colored like that.

1 person likes this.
  5. bygrace53

Oct 4, 2013
    I put in the post they are 19 and 20 weeks old....

6. bygrace53

Oct 4, 2013
    Fabulous. Thanks!

7. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    LOl..missed the post on the ages..sorry about that. This is what happens when I am obsessing over chickens instead of sleeping. It won't be long before they start laying eggs then. But look at Pearls comb.. doesn't it look like it has more than 1 vertical row of peas CCCCChicken? And are the 2 top pictures both of Lily or is the top one Lily and the second and third one Zsa zsa? I'm confused on that.

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Pearl is a Wyandotte. They have rose combs, not pea combs. The first 2 pictures are of Lily.

They all look like pullets to me.

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    like keesmom said, pearl has a rose comb, not a pea comb

10. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree, except the Wyandottes always stump me so I can't speak to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by