Eight Hawks around the property!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by r4eboxer, Dec 13, 2011.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    DS got a deer a few days ago, wouldn't you know that DH helped gut it in the meadow and did not bury the remains. So every freaking hawk in the area comes to feast! I could just kill DH for that stupid stunt. I brought out my 9 week old Great Prys but they are not very fierce right now. I went outside to smoke the deer bones for the dogs when I noticed the hawks and as soon as I started the fire up in the smoker the hawks flew away and did not return all day.

Has anyone kept a barrel ready to burn a fire in to deter hawks? It seemed to have done the trick quite quickly and for a good many hours, heck they may have not returned still today. I think until my Pyrs get old enough to keep the hawks away I may try lighting a fire every time I notice them in the sky. Thoughts?
    Oh and it will help if DH learns to bury the innards too. [​IMG]

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Well it sounds like buzzards not hawks as hawks are territoral and will fight i had the local redtail hawks kill 2 coopers hawks in my pasture,i am glad too cause them boogers were pestering my flocks, but look at it this way they will not be bothering you chickens.
    [​IMG]
    Oh and i would have fed them scraps to my dogs cause burning them in a barrel aint gonna cut it unless ya got a supply of gas to keep the fire burning cause they are wet.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Quote:I guess I am not sure what they were then. They never did get to the scraps laying in the meadow, they just kept flying around the property, sitting in the tree watching all the crows eat at the innards. They did swoop down really close the house and looked like a hawk not a buzzard. I wonder if they were after the crows that were eating? I know there were too many for comfort. I was smoking the bones in a smoker so I was hoping the flames would dye down. I did use some diesel fuel to start the fire though. I hope if they come back the fight and kill each other off! That is a win win in my book.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by