Eight is enough

Barbara Moody

Hatching
Mar 19, 2015
I was raised on a farm and currently have a back yard brood for about a year now. One of my hens has decided she wants to be more than just a layer..... kinda hard to have chicks when she's not fertilized yet. Looking to find a local rooster to borrow, rent or buy to help her out. I wanted more chicks anyway.

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC!
woot.gif

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home! Here are some helpful links that you might like:

Incubating & Hatching Eggs

Where am I? Where are you!

Chicken Hatching Eggs

Chickens 8 Weeks & Older

People generally do not borrow a rooster. Bringing in a strange bird could also expose your flock to disease or parasites. You can look for and buy hatching(fertile) eggs of many breeds and use an incubator.

I was raised on a farm and currently have a back yard brood for about a year now. One of my hens has decided she wants to be more than just a layer..... kinda hard to have chicks when she's not fertilized yet. Looking to find a local rooster to borrow, rent or buy to help her out. I wanted more chicks anyway.

Welcome!
Rather than looking for a temporary rooster (many issues with this plan - bio security, timing given that she may not be broody any more by the time you have fertilized eggs, etc) you will be better off looking for some fertilized eggs from someone else's flock - you can find them here on BYC, through some hatcheries online and by posting on CL/FB groups etc for your local area.

Back
Top Bottom