1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eight month old chicken never laid egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazychickenwoman, Jul 4, 2007.

1. crazychickenwoman

crazychickenwoman New Egg

Jul 4, 2007
    Hello,

I have an eight month old New Hampshire/Rhode Island Red chicken that has not begun laying. She seems happy and healthy otherwise. Is this usual and when should I expect her to start laying. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks [​IMG]

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Is she on grower food or layer?

3. crazychickenwoman

Jul 4, 2007
    she has been on layer food for 3 months. the two other chickens that are the same age (different breeds though) are laying

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I posted before about this and i still am not sure if it made the difference but.....a lady i know had her hens on layer before they were layin' and they were almost a year old too. The feed store said put them back on grower and she did and they were laying in about 5 days. It sounds crazy to me....but the lady came to see me to thank me because all her girls are now laying. They said as soon as they are laying to switch them to layer food. If you try it, let me know.

5. crazychickenwoman

Jul 4, 2007
    Thanks, I'll give that a try and see what happens. Would it matter if the ones already laying eat it too?

6. edbama2

edbama2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Slocomb, Alabama
    My layers always get a hold of what I fed the chics and it made no difference on their egg laying habits. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by