Eight month old drakes attacking hens - time to go. Welsh Harlequins

MrsFarmerJen

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Napa
Hello all, I have had chickens for several years but am new to ducks this year. I have eight Welsh Harlequins, received as ducklings from Holderreads last summer. Unfortunately, I only got two ducks and six drakes out of the eight I received. I've posted classified ads locally over the last several months to try and sell the extra drakes but have had no luck and am now at the point the 5 need to go. Yesterday they were drowning one of the hens and today they ganged up on the other and, had I not intervened, I don't think she would have made it out alive. I guess this is normal too-many-drakes-in-the-pen behavior? They have tons of room, a pool to get into, etc, so it's not that they are crowded. I have the hens separated now and they seem very happy to have the run of the garden without getting hounded by the boys. If anyone local to Napa, CA wants them, they are welcome to them... there are 3 silver and 2 gold. The pictures are from a few months ago when they weren't quite done maturing and I'm not the best duck photographer.

Bummer! I bet you're not planning on coming to Phoenix anytime soon >_<

If you can't give them away through classified adds with craigslist, ebay and freecycle, you should look into culling them for freezer camp, or finding someone to help you do the deed (perhaps in exchange for a portion of the meat.)

Thanks, Phoenix! Wish I was headed your way soon too... I'm going to try craigslist again today but I did get a response from someone yesterday on a local posting. They'll take them for a vineyard pond which is great, but I'm wondering with their behavior if they'll be ok and shouldn't just go to the freezer anyways. Since I've had them separated from the females the last two days, they've turned on each other. The group had picked one to attack just this morning and had him down on the ground and were really hurting him. Unfortunately I can't post anything in the classified section yet as I haven't posted enough (heavy sigh). Guess I'll get to posting comments this morning then go list them. :)

They're posted on craigslist again. Wish me luck. (I need 4 more BYC posts to list them here...)

fl.gif
their beautiful boys i hope some will take them.

They're posted on craigslist again. Wish me luck. (I need 4 more BYC posts to list them here...)

Thanks, Miss Lydia! Those pictures were taken when they were only a few months old, will have to take some current ones and post them... :)

Back
Top Bottom