Eight week old BSL - boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AriLovesChickens, Jan 26, 2012.

1. AriLovesChickens

AriLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    N Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    If it's a Black Sexlink then it's 100% pullet. Male BSL are barred like Barred Rocks, and the females are black with gold leakage.

3. AriLovesChickens

Jun 27, 2011
    N Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Good to know. I'm not 100% sure it's a black sexlink. That's just what the guy I bought it from thought (he ordered a mixed batch of chicks). I also got what he believed to be a red sexlink pullet, and it looked much more like a rooster a couple of weeks ago, so I gave it away.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If it is a BSL, then the whole point of the sex link is to determine the sex at hatch. That is the pullet's coloration, black with red streaks in front from the RIR rooster parent. The cockerel's coloration is like unto its BR hen parent.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The Red sex links, if they are RSL, also feather completely different. The pullet is reddish buff coloration from the RIR rooster parent, while the cockerels are virtually white, feathered like unto their White (silver) hen parent.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  6. AriLovesChickens

Jun 27, 2011
    N Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    ...all of which tells me that this guy had no clue what he was talking about. LOL

So what do you think this chick is? Could it be anything else but a black sexlink, with this coloration?

7. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

looks black sex link female. not all black sex links have a RIR as a parent. it could have any breed of barred mother and gold father.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It does look like a bsl pullet. My experience with them has been great. They're fantastic layers and calm birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by