Eight-week-old EE still has fuzzy neck-getting worse and looks itchy

BackToMyRoots

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 29, 2010
Matthews, NC
This is probably just part of what makes her special, but one of my EE's still has chick fuzz down the front of her neck to her chest. She was the later developing one all the way through, and I was shocked that she ever caught up with her siblings in size. Should I worry about mites, or should I chalk this up to her unique development? I couldn't see anything moving on her and the other chickens are all fine. She's eating, chasing bugs, and pooping normally. In fact, she was the first one to figure out that jumping in ice water is refreshing on a hot afternoon. Could she be molting before she even gets all of her feathers?

Ooh, I just had a scary thought: does all this mean that Princess is actually Prince? Noooooooo!

New concern: could this be mites? Princess doesn't look like she has as much fuzz as the chicks in the other pictures...

61878_clipboard02.jpg

61878_clipboard03.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Here's a photo of my BR, Petunia at 6 weeks old. She looks like waht you're describing. We thought "she" was just a runt, but as it turned out, "she" was a rooster!
6 wks old:
43104_8-26-09_6_wks_petunia.jpg

4 months old:
43104_10-17-09_petunia_peter.jpg

Last edited:
I had one BO who was like that. I had read that later feathering might mean roo. I was sooooo worried, that I bought another chick, just in case. Silly me. Lola (walks like a woman, talks like a man) turned out to be the first pullet to lay, and was always one of my most consistent hens, until she was killed by a raccoon.

Sometimes they just feather out individually. Don't worry....yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the informationa and pics! Now I'm a bit worried, because Princess' neck doesn't look like it has as much fuzz as the other late bloomers posted here. Am I really dealing with feather-picking or something? I added pics of her neck in a couple of places.

Thanks again for your help!

I've posted this picture under thread entitled "I don't think he's going to make it" but this is a 9 week old EE. There is another rooster in the same batch of chicks that is already crowing. I'm afraid if he doesn't feather out, he's not going to make it once it gets cold.
62375_img_1922.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom