Eight week old huge swollen jelly like area (mass?) right upper chest

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amartinlb, Jun 16, 2010.

1. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    We noticed this one chick has a large soft mass growing on the one side of the chest about extra large egg size. It jiggles like jello. She is still going around with her 2 buddies but seems quiet and stands with her head tucked in. Eyes clear and size seem normal... we were thinking abnormality, did not see her get injured or anything. If she gets sick or acts weird we were thinking of putting her down. I can't do it. My son does not want to do anything involving blood (ax) What is the most humane and least traumatic to chicken and us?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Do a search for "sour crop".

3. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    I'm sure others with more experience can be of more help, but are you certain it's not sour crop? The crop can become quite bloated and "mushy" with it. Do a search on it here on BYC and you'll find lots of information. Good luck.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Did the place come up suddenly, or did it develop over time??? So you're certain it's not just a full crop, but a separate mass???

5. amartinlb

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Last night I looked up sour crop - a lot about treatments but not what it looks like. I do think it may be that. The upper chest area feels all watery -I massaged it. I am used to seeing crops higher up full at end of day. This am it was drinking and still looked sort of the same. I will check after work again today and see what its doing.

6. amartinlb

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    I massaged the bloat crop yesterday not better this morning. So, I tried what they said to do and put her upside down and massaging crop. I thought is was successful as out drained all the goop in crop - a lot and what seemed to be the problem was a lot of whole seeds from the scratch I put out for the older birds. Maybe she was too young to eat it at 6 weeks but all other chicks if ate it are fine. I was very happy until I put her in a corner to rest and she started jerking and flailing and closed her eyes and died! Anyway - she is out of pain. Learning lesson for me

7. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    She got fluid down her lungs, it is a very common problem when trying that treatment. If you had done nothing she would have died a slow painful death.

So sorry for your loss!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by