1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eight Week old RIRs.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by La Cresta Toni, Dec 28, 2013.

1. La Cresta Toni

La Cresta Toni Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2013
    Murrieta, Ca
    My chicks look almost exactly the same, color, comb, tail feathers, but one is about three times the size as the other. I was afraid the big one was a rooster, but size is the only sign. I can only assume that they were born the same time, they were closer to the same size in the beginning. Is it possible I have two hens? They are my first and I am attached. Guess I just need to know if I need my husband to build a rooster coop.

2. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    The best way to figure it out, would be for you to post some pictures

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pics would be good.

Why would you need a rooster coop?

4. La Cresta Toni

La Cresta Toni Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2013
    Murrieta, Ca
    I figured I needed a separate coop since I would have 3 hens and one rooster. I have been told you need more hens or the rooster will hurt them? I will try for pictures. You know they move quickly.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you do have a rooster, I'd try things and see how they go. folks here quote the ten hens for a rooster, but that's not an absolute or magical number. I've had 4 roosters and a dozen hens, free ranging, and everyone was okay. I've had one rooster stalk two specific hens, even free ranging and with 20+ other hens to choose from. You just can't predict what animals will do.

If you do have a rooster, and didn't plan for one, I'd advise to just get rid of it. No need to keep an animal you didn't want, and a rooster living by himself will be miserable. roosters add a whole new dimension to chicken keeping that most new folks just don't need. Especially if there are kids in the picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by