Eight week olds with pullets?

crazy hen quartet

Songster
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Chandler AZ
Here is my question...

I have four laying hens that are about 8-9 months old. I plan to bring home a couple of 8 week olds from the same gal I got my laying hens from. Having never experienced anything younger than 4-5 months, I am wondering if (after keeping them separated for a quarantine period) the newbies will be too young/small and be picked on by my pullets?

I have NO idea how big 8 week olds are... just looking for input here.

Thanks
Lisa

You need to get a breed that will grow up to be close to the same size as you have now. The new ones will get picked on so you will want to keep them separate for a while. Also you should put them in with the others but in a separate pen so they can all see each other or else the little ones will get pecked to pieces.

Quote:
They can hold ground at anywhere between 4-6 months, closer to four if you monitor the activities between the birds. The pecking order will be developed no matter what.

I bought five 8-week-old EE pullets over five weeks ago with the plan on integrating them with my then seven 16- to 24-week olds (1 EE, 3 BOs, 3 RIRs). I have no roo in my backyard flock. After quarantine, I put them in a section of the run that was fenced off, but visible, to the older girls. (That is to say that they all could see each other, even peck at each other through the fence.) A week later (yesterday), I opened the door to the fenced area and let the two flocks mingle, free will. All was well. Of course there was, and is, some chasing and light pecking and such, but the now thirteen-week-olds are doing just fine. I was really pleased with how well they interacted.

I do think my run is on the bigger side (like 10' x 25') and the younger ones still sleep on their roosts in the fenced-off area, and the older ones sleep in their house - by habit/choice. So they're not sisters just yet, but with some time, I think they'll do OK.

Oh, you spoke of size. Eight-week old EEs were small in my opinion - smaller than a small pigeon. They're still on the small side and would lose a fight against Lucy, our BO alpha hen, in a second, but they're quick. That's their advantage! Lucy's like a bathtub compared to them! Go for it.

Back
Top Bottom