either americana or EEs

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by afchicken, Oct 23, 2011.

1. afchicken

afchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    i think the black and white 1 is female and red definitly male both same age.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

srry about pic quality hard to get close to them

2. Chicken Bee

Chicken Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    Long Island
    Definitely not Ameraucanas. Hard to tell the sex on the barred one with the quality of the photos, but the brown one is a roo for sure.

3. afchicken

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    yea got them at flee market advertised as americanas im like they are probly EEs but want some anyway i like both breeds but havent bought anybefore these

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Either Ameracauna or EE will have slate or greenish legs. This hen's legs look yellow and the roo's look white, from what I can tell in the pictures.

5. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Americana is just another name for an EE, btw. Ameraucanas are an established breed, as are Araucanas.

EEs can have any color legs, comb type, egg color, etc. since they are more of a mutt chicken with no standards. Very pretty birds, still!

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The red one is certainly a male. I suspect the barred one is too, but need a closer picture to confirm.

Americana's and EE's are the same thing - cross breeds. Pure Ameraucana's you can only get from a breeder.

7. afchicken

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    definitly a roo parents sent me a better pic now they are both very pretty but my parents have too many roos so off to freezer camp with them.

[​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Easter Eggers.

Ameraucanas do not have greenish legs and are not the same as Easter Eggers [​IMG]

9. afchicken

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    probly weirdest thing is im pretty sure when i bought them both where same color fluff balls and yet they look so different

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Both roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by