Either my girls love me or they are stupid...which one?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by V Comb, Oct 28, 2010.

1. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been reading about broodies being really cranky, biting and getting all mean, but mine don't. I know silkies are meant to be so friendly and all, but not when they are broody, but mine...when they are broody, you can pat 'em, hug em and they love to get talked to, as well, all they do is puff themselves up... So why are mine so different?

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Each hen is different I guess.
    Mine (Buff Orpingtons) did puff up and squalk at me, but none of them have ever really attacked me or gotten nasty mean. In fact I made a point to go out and pet her every night, and by the second week she didn't even squalk at me anymore.

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I hope Ginger (one of my RIR) never goes broody.. Each night, after they get on the roost, I go and feel of their "baby goosel" (what my grandson calls their crop), tell her thank you for my eggs and coo at them.. WELL, Miss Ginger starts pecking my hand and arm before I ever get to her!!! It's not hard but she is definitely not a very nice girl...If she ever goes broody, I may have to wear my beekeeping gloves!! LOL

Glad you Silkies are so sweet...

4. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    My silkie went broody for about 5 weeks ( I just let nature take its course, it was my very first broody) and she was super nice. She would chatter at me and that's it. I pick her up, I pet her...no big deal. She was sweet as pie the entire time.

5. Blissinged

Blissinged New Egg

Oct 28, 2010
    Every chicken is different. Some don't care if you hug or pet them, and some will will defend themslves or run away from you.

6. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    My serama was an attack chicken when she went broody, but my silkies have been very sweet so far..

I guess it depends on the chicken.

Candace

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by