Ekkk...Wood Chips under Sand for Run?

Addieh

In the Brooder
May 20, 2020
Tired of the mud! It doesn't rain often, but when it does I have a muddy run. My run is 10x30 for 20 chickens and I have a roof over the run.
I have free wood chips and I want to do sand. Should I put a layer of wood chips down first to help with the drainage/water run off and then the sand? Any suggestions are apprecitated!! PS...I'm not doing just wood chips after reading they don't work well under roofs because they need more rain top down.

Personally I think that the wood chips would break down inside the sand and just create a big mucky mess. The wood will also absorb moisture and just hold it, it might create a big stink. Maybe you should have a base layer of stone and then sand on top if you want better drainage.

Wood chips can work just fine under a roofed cover.

If there's drainage issues, just adding wood chips and then sand isn't going to fix anything... need to address drainage through adding drains, trenching, etc. and then consider what litter would best suit your environment and set up.

Personally I don’t like wood chip anymore, I had it In my run but so many bad reports that mould Can gather in it & cause a lot of troubles .. so we are now going onto sand.. we have just mud atm, but going
To use sand as I have read a lot of great reviews on it 😊😊

Back
Top Bottom