El Cheapo 60's Airstream finished,pics.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gypsea, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Gypsea

Gypsea Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Elk Point
    Youbetcha now!
    Finally finished the gate, run roosts, and ramp. Switching to light beer really helped. Tastes great,less filling![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    I LOVE IT!!! LOOKS GOOD FOR CHICKENS! WAHAHAHA!!![​IMG]

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I am using a '64 beeline trailer for my chickens... I was divided on whether or not I wanted to block off the underbelly of my trailer- so far I haven't and they love the shade and dust bathing under there... is your airstream moveable? My trailer turned out to be pretty un-moveable so I went ahead and fenced it in. Your set up looks awesome- I'd want to add some 50's kitche and whirygigs to complete the camp look, but I'm kind of that way.
    I am fighting every urge to say "an airstream? NOOO!" but I got so many comments like that when I told people I was using a camper for my coop, so I'll refrain [​IMG]

4. DragonFeathers

DragonFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Maryland
    Good job, love the look, looks like the dog also likes it [​IMG]

5. Gypsea

Jul 20, 2010
    Elk Point
    Thanks...it really was a fun project.
    The main posts for the run were the toughest, they are all bored down 3 feet.

All of the wood used here with the exception of the run border was taken from around the property. Along the Big Sioux River bluff here, we have thousands of the eastern red cedars,(Juniperus virginiana). They are an invasive species that really spread fast
    if not kept under control.

I especially like using them for projects like this because they are very decay and bug resistant.

The nest boxes are the last thing to do...maybe in September...

6. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    that is truely awesome man...love the use of existing items

7. Gypsea

Jul 20, 2010
    Elk Point
    TeamChaos,

Those BeeLines are a really sturdy little unit. How many birds do you keep in it?

Yes, the trailer can be moved around if need be. I put a skirt all the way around ours to keep the birds and our dogs from getting underneath.

Yes, little Billie just digs the chicks. She gets in there every morning and counts them all, drooling heavily of course. I trained the dogs as puppies not
    to kill any chickens, but they will bring back a wild turkey now and then and chow down.

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Love It [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    That is really cute! [​IMG]

10. shesaredroan

shesaredroan Chillin' With My Peeps

What a super way to recycle!!! I'm an artist and get a lot of my material from stuff others have 'thrown away'. Giving new purpose to other's toss offs gives my pieces a real history. Good for you!!!

Help me understand....why would one want to keep the chickens from getting underneath the structure. It seems to me the shade would be a good retreat for them. ???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by