Elderly Chickens are the best, are they not?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ellie97, Aug 3, 2014.

1. ellie97

ellie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    So, I have this ANCIENT Americana, Maggie, that is just the sweetest, oldest chicken ever. She stopped laying long, long ago. She is 12 or 13 and her walk is just comical. She kind of hobbles around-I think she needs chicken hip replacements. She's been like this for years and just keeps on going! Anyway, I just wanted to share her picture and hopefully see some of ya'll's senior citizens as well!
    [​IMG]

2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    How LUCKY for you that Maggie has been with you so long! I am hopeing that I can boast to having elderly chickens in the future, my oldest one so far is ONLY 5 years old ;) :love

3. ellie97

ellie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aww. I have a bunch that are about that age range. Maggie remains from our original, very first order of chicks!

4. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    My flock started in 2010 so my oldest is actually 4 from my original flock and my elderly Serama roo Emmitt was gifted to me and he is the one that is 5 possibly 6 years old..

He has mellowed out to a wonderful & fair patriarch and has let my younger serama roo Fritz take over the reins of "doing the deed" with the hens. ;) And the two live together, sometimes sleeping side by side at nite.

[​IMG]

p.s. He is the sorriest looking serama I have ever seen BUT he is such a good boy!

this is what a serama roo should look like......
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How cool is it to keep a chicken that long? I love the old timers, too!

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Wow, Maggie sure is a senior citizen, isn't she? She's a gorgeous girl. [​IMG] You've been blessed to have her as long as you have. Enjoy her. Froggiesheins birds are beautiful also. Thanks for posting them for us to see! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by