elderly chickens?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I have a hen that has been very active until a couple of days agoand walks slowly with her tail slanted downwards, mind you I have never seen her lay an egg since I've had her,although she enjoyed sitting on other hens eggs and empty nests,but not for long.
    Anyway, for the last couple of days she has seemed to walk slowly,like an elderly woman. She still eats and my other chickens don't seem any different towards her at all. Does old age set on suddenly with chickens? She doesn't seem in any pain.

2. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    To me it sounds like there's something wrong with her. I think the fact that she suddenly started walking slowly and in a strange manner does indicate that she is in pain or not feeling good. I'm not sure what the problem would be though. Are there any other symptoms? Diarrhea, distended abdomen, anything like that?

3. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:No other symptoms, she is pooing just fine,her abdomen looks normal and she does move fast if she has to.But she is walking as though she is just strolling. Pecking at the ground though, but not scratching the ground. Maybe she ate something she wasn't supposed to? I don't know, and not sure what to do with her. Can a chicken get arthritus?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  4. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    I think they can get arthritis. I know they can get gout! I suppose it's a possibility if she seems otherwise fine. If you haven't already, you may want to inspect her all-over to make sure she doesn't have any injuries hidden under her feathers.

5. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I think I will have to inspect her..if I can catch her(she hates to be held)

6. VanSintjan

VanSintjan Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2008
    Belgium
    Take her fever. If she has fever it sounds like ovary infection since her tail points down. They get a pingvin like walk from that. If she has an infection and you have a rootser you will have to treat them all with antibiotics.

7. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Her tail isn't always down..just when she is walking and she just started the tail down thingy today. She seems to get up on their perch everynight and down in the morning without any problems. I think she might have eaten something that didn't agree with, maybe. They are free range chicken(and they go EVERYWHERE possible. I will keep an eye on her...all of my other chickens are doing great. Like I said before, I have never gotten an egg fron her and I have had her since last fall{about Oct-Nov.} I have never seen my roo breed with her or even has had any interest in her. I had another chicken ,a while ago, they was dieing and my roo and the other hens attacked her whenever possible( I think she was egg bound and it rotted in her...maybe) Anyway, they act normal around this hen. I'm keeping an eye on her anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by