Election Thoughts for my dear Chicken Friends

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickiebaby, Nov 3, 2008.

1. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    My friend Jane and I are heading up to New Hampshire (still a swing state) tomorrow with a packed van full of insanely enthusiastic teens, ours and their friends. We had to turn more away for lack of seats!

This can only bode well for the future of our democracy, folks, and for the love of our constitution! Half of them will be voting next year, all of them by the next Presidential election, and they are so enthusiastic and excited to go knock on doors and offer rides and make mediocre campaign HQ coffee tomorrow -- it is truly inspiring.

They have all done their homework for the whole week, which was a condition of taking off school tomorrow for this little road trip.

We plan on all staying up late tomorrow, with the little ones in sleeping bags, and champagne and apple cider on hand (though as another friend, Barbara, quipped, scotch on hand too, just in case).

I know many of us feel strongly about this election, on opposing sides of what feels like a great divide. Surely we can all rejoice in democracy, in our constitution and in the enthusiasm of this excellent up and coming generation.

I have respected the outcome of the last two Presidential elections, though my candidates did not win. I hope that we will all do the same this time, whatever the result, and move forward together.

The peaceful transfer of power was a goal dear in the hearts of our founding mothers and fathers. Vive la Constitution! And long live the teenagers!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. chickiebaby

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    I am taking a young-un up to bed now, and I trust that you will all sleep well and happily, that your chooks will, too, and that I'll see your responses in the morn.

Lots of chicken love to all.

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Hope you have a good day tomorrow. You will find me at the polls sometime tomorrow!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Um, no please. I really want them to grow up and out of the iknoweverythingandyouknownothing stage.

5. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    Good for you...I love to see young people learning about democracy.

I have taken my young children out of school for a "field trip" with mom during election months. I have walked neighborhoods knocking on doors campaiging, worked phones, and explained to my 5 exactly why I chose one candidate over another. I have also shown them how to avoid believing media and going to the source to find out exactly what the candidate stands for. My 10 year old has convinced his teacher to switch candidates this year. She say my son had some pretty convincing arguments and thought better of her initial choice.

So good luck tomorrow and way to be an awesome example for your young ones.

6. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    What a good idea and what fun, too! [​IMG]

7. chickiebaby

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Good morning everyone - long lines at our local polling place this morning, so get out there and make your voices heard! Many, many children were present, some in p.j.'s at 6:45! It was wonderful.

Love.

8. Black Feather

Black Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Good luck you guys on your vote today! I only wish Canada had such interesting candidates....might make for better voter turnout up here.

Great idea on how to get the next generation interested in the democratic process.

Cheers,
    Urban Coyote

9. sunbury chick

sunbury chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Sunbury,Ohio
    Hi ,
    Did anyone watch Saturday Night Live last night? I couldn't stay awake for the whole thing,but the first half was hysterical.Tina Feye is the perfect Sarah Palin....I swear she looks just like her.Well, whoever wins the election I'll respect. It was really hard for me this time to vote, I had a real hard time deciding.I will be happy that there won't be any more mud slinging everytime you turn on the T.V. too. I just pray,whoever wins, will turn things around for the better....God Bless the President and the USA...

10. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    Those long lines that i've been hearing about weren't so bad! I was in and out in 1/2 hour.
    Good for you for making sure that those kids get to take part in an important part of our past, present and future.
    T

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by