Electric Fence acting up

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sbreagy97, Feb 4, 2012.

1. sbreagy97

sbreagy97 New Egg

Dec 27, 2011
    Hi Guys!
    My chickens keep hopping out of my electric fence, so I went out and used my electric fence tester from Premiere1 Supplies. My tester said that it was pumping out 2,000 volts (which is what is should be doing), but when I touch it at one place, I don't get zapped. If I move to the next "line" of fencing and touch it, I get zapped. Am I like unzappable? :D

But seriously, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks guys!

~Stephen

2. chigger bait

chigger bait Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Jonesborough, Tennessee
    You(your personal self)may have not been ground the 1st time you touched it and where the 2nd time.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    Yes. The first touch, you might not have been grounded. Could be because of your shoes or what you were standing on. Another possibility is that your meter is set to too high a sensitivity and you're reading stray voltage. But, that makes little sense.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Is it netting or single wires?

Not all the "lines" in a net are "hot"

If you have individual wires, either there is a bad connection somewhere, an insulator is shorting out, or something is touching the fence and causing a short.

5. Dutch552

Dutch552 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Hart County, KY
    If you're running single strands and not getting juice, it will boil down to your fence grounding out somewhere. Run the fence and look for anything that could be shorting it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by