1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

electric fence & clipping wings

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tracyree, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Just set up my electric fence and am concerned about a weak spot. Wanted to get some experienced folks advice.

See that back corner where the white fence gate is? I'm worried that predators will climb back of run and right down into fenced pasture. I have a hen that has hopped up and gotten out 6 times today. Was gonna just clip her wings but then started thinking this might be a problem as far as things getting IN.

Obviously we only need to worry about climbing predators for this problem. Raccoons and possum. Girls are locked behind automatic door at night, do I need to worry about that spot regardless?

Ideas?

[​IMG]

maybe I should have put this in coops or predators?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Can you close up the perimeter of the fence so that the entire run area is electrified? An electric fence is only good if the entire thing is charged. Any breaches in the fence are a weak spot and will be a welcome corridor for any critters who are shopping for some chicken tenders. And we all know that every one loves chicken. As far as chickens flying over the fence: they'll fly over any fence, electric or not. When they are in flight, even if they come in contact with the fence, they'll not get zapped. The fence charge is pulsed, or intermittent, so a quick contact most likely wouldn't result in a shock, for starters, and most importantly, the animal in question has to have good ground contact in order to get a shock. I didn't think my fence was working b/c I would grab it and not get a shock. Then, I took my shoe off and stuck my toe in the damp grass while holding the fence. I quickly found out why it is so effective against ground predators, including bears! Also, an electric fence is only as good as it's ground rod. Be sure that meets specifications and it works best in damp soil. When you dump dirty water, it's a good idea to dump it over the ground rod! Or put that rod where it gets roof water run off.

3. annabelle12

annabelle12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Since your girls are safe inside at night and the predators you listed are nocturnal, you are probably ok with clipping the wings and leaving the setup as is, though of course it would be more ideal to enclose EVERYTHING in the fencing so there are no weak spots. Also, raccoons may hit the fence first, before they attempt any climbing, and would be deterred by the shock they would get. Sometimes I hear "night screams" when critters hit my electric fence at night, and I'm guessing any investigating they are doing is over at that point.

4. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    So if I were to order another section of fence to completely electrify all sides, how would the chickens get in? Tired and brain not working. Only thing I can think is to entirely surround coop, but that's not practical and would cost a ton more to buy that much fence

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Where did you get your fencing? Mine is Premier 1, 42" high. I just pull out the end post and step in, pushing it back into the ground behind me. I use the black ties that are designed to hook the 2 end poles together to make a loop to fit down over the opposite end post to hold them together. If I'm wearing good shoes, I don't even bother to turn it off. If you're tall enough, you may be able to step over it at the middle between posts... but I'd be sure to turn it off if doing that. Otherwise, depending on what kind of fencing you're using, there are bits of hardware that you can use to make a "gate" for it.

6. Tracyree

May 6, 2011
    thanks. I have a gate for myself, I meant how do the CHICKENS get in if it's electric on all 4 sides. :)

(it's the premier 48")

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  7. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    I've never had a problem with my birds flying over the fence (and mine are flighty) - they don't seem to be able to figure out how high wire/mesh type fences are. There's a long patch of boarded horse fence that is 6' high on one edge of one of my pastures (backed with wire), and they fly up and onto (and then over) that all the time. The 4' wire does a much better job than the 6' solid fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by