Electric fence experts - help!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mulewagon, Nov 8, 2011.

1. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    I hope that somebody can see what we're missing, here. Many thanks to anyone who can help!

We've just set up a two-strand electric fence around the chicken pen. It's plugged into an extension cord from the house. The light on the controller comes on, but the tester shows no current. (And exasperated human testers feel no current!)

We've tried three different controllers. The ground rod is six feet deep, and we've had adequate rain this year. The wires aren't touching anything. (You can't see it in the picture, but we have wire connecting the two strands, where the handles hook.)

Here's some pictures of our setup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The first thing I see wrong is that charger needs to be INSIDE and not exposed to the weather.

I also don't see a ground wire attached from the rod to the charger

In fact, I don't see ANYTHING attached to the charger LOL

Use your test light to check the charger alone by disconnecting the fence and ground wires and touching ONLY the posts on the charger

That will tell you if it's putting out any current at all.

Next, get some REAL insulated fence wire to connect between the ground rod and ground terminal on the charger.

As close as the rod is, you may be able to use a piece of your fence wire covered with a piece of old water hose, or some of the tube insulators you used on the corners, if you have any left over

The plain green wire you have now isn't made to carry that much voltage, and may well be the source of your problems.

Next, check to be SURE the hot wires are not in contact with anything other than the insulators, since one good short can draw off all the power.

Let us know what you find after doing these things

Here is how is should be:
    http://www.afence.com/Electric_Fence/how_to_elecfence/elecinstall.htm

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    after checking charger.......if not putting out power , check the two fuses on side of charger. i also dont see a ground wire connect to the charger.

4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Agreed, you haven't hooked the ground to the charger. Disagree that there is any need for insulated wire for the ground. A piece of fence wire will work nicely.

5. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Thanks, it was the fuses! It's working now - Mr. Puppy has no more desire to climb the fence.

The ground rod is wired, but some of the wire doesn't show up in the pics. We'll be finishing everything now that it's functional. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by