Electric Fence Help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lishah2000, Sep 6, 2009.

1. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know a lot about electric fencing and can't figure out how to make a hot wire on the top of the fence work.

I plan to put two wires on the bottom, but have trees close to the run and need to protect the top also. If a raccoon were to drop onto the fence from a tree and touch a top wire, will it ground and give a shock? Or do I need to do something different?

I also need to consider the coop itself and prevent any access from the roof down into the run.

Thank you for any suggestions.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:best way to know about the electric fences is to read online how they work or to ask some sales ppl at tractor supply.

3. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Hot wiring the top of the fence really won't shock a coon, but I've wired the top of my coop to stop the rotten critters. They were dropping onto the roof, but this put an end to it.

[​IMG]

You can see that I made a perimeter around the top of the coop. It's really worked.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  4. lishah2000

Thanks for the picture. That helps a lot. They do get a shock with that set up? That would work perfect for my coops.

5. Soccer Mom

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Yup. Standing on the shingled roof will ground them. I've heard the shriek.

6. Soccer Mom

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
  7. lishah2000

Wonderful. I will be setting mine up the same way. I wonder if it would work to just wire the trees near the run the same way.

Thank you for your help!

8. PeepsInc

PeepsInc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    NY Tri State region
    Quote:Then connect your 3 wires with the single hot strand. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by