Electric fence info needed

Big dreams

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
I want a electric fence to fence in my dogs and also protect my chickens. I plan on running the electric fence on the outside of the chicken run. I want it strong for the dogs as a underground with batt. collar did not work with her, I also had a bark collar that did not work for her so I know she is
hmm.png
hmmm shock resisitant? Anyway wat joules rating should the fence have? I don't want pre-fried chicken either. Thanks, I hope someone can help as I need to get this ordered. Thank you again!

Well I don't use joules, but anyway.

My dog will respect as low as ~2000 volts, or 2.0 kv which is relatively low for predator-deterrence. However it is also high enough to fry squirrels and wild birds who touch a grounded fence and the hot wire at the same time but it doesn't really hurt me or the dog. I do not want my birds touching the fence while sticking their head through the welded wire!

The reason the electric collars didn't work so well just *might* be because the dog didn't understand where the shock came from. My dog doesn't do so well with e-collar training, but understand the fence wire PERFECTLY. (Unfortunately, the waterproof hunting dog collar cost more than my fence and we only use it a few times a year for camping and swimming
tongue.png
)

I am using an ele fence too. I have lost three hens to a fox and I had a fence charger that I wasn't using so I'm going to try it out. I don't know if it will zap a fox but it will knock the hell out of a bassett hound!! Leroy ran all the way back to the house and got under the house and didn't come out for the rest of the day. I would like to know if anybody else has experiece with this also.

Chickens will walk right through an electric fense unless the wires are too closely spaced for them to fit.
Most other animals dont require a lot of voltage to deter them.

All that said, I'd want at LEAST 3 joules. I seldom hear anyone say "I wish my fence had LESS power"

One of my chargers is a 15 Joule, but the chickens STILL walk through it, and most of the time dont even get shocked

I have an electric fence outside my galvanized fence. One chick, maybe 9 weeks, got away from me one day, and ran BETWEEN the electric and the galvanized fence for at least a couple of minutes before I got him back in his yard. There is only a few inches there, and he was constantly touching one fence or the other; not enough room not to touch at least one. He never showed any sign of being bothered by the electric wire. A few minutes later, my 30 lb. lab puppy stuck her nose on the electric fence, ran off howling, hid under the house for hours, and has not come near the fence again.

I truly believe the feathers protect them.

I do not know what the joules or volts are, but they can't be a lot; the charger cost $40 (plug in) and there is about 900 feet of wire connected to it.

If you need more numbers, PM me tomorrow and I will be glad to go read the labels and tell you.

Next time, if I build another run, it will be really cheap chicken wire, surrounded by electric. Chicken wire is enough for the chickens, and electric for everyone else....

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=436&criteria=versa

I
just bought this one to put around the meat chicken tractor. DH wanted the 20 inch because it keeps critters out and that all we need it to do. They will stay in their tractor.

We have a ribbon fence around about 2 acres to keep our dogs inn and they have touched it been shocked and stay away. Half the time we don't even have it on. They have hit it enough times to respect it.

Thank you for the info, I was a little concerend about the chickens even though they should not be able to reach any of the electric fence. I do want one of the stronger ones as they are more resistent to the weeds and I want to run 3 strands around a large area for the dogs. Then more around the chicken run.
smile.png

Ok, now I have another question, if I use the reg. wire instead of the ribbon or braided stuff, is there something I can add to it to make it more visable to my dogs? I can't really afford the fencing (wood,wire or what have you) for the size I would like them to have. My chickens have sucked up all my extra cash
hu.gif
and are still doing so, but I really need for the dogs to get off these darn runs.... Thanks AGAIN....

We use electric fencing for our horses and a seperate charger for the runs and coops.
The one for the runs is a 10 mile charger and the insulators are the medium extensions so the wire is approx 2 inches from the fence.
Currently we have approx 1/4 mile of charged fence run so the joule ratio is very high. Would not want to be the one to accidentally touch it. Bladder control would be a problem...

Back
Top Bottom