Electric Fence is working!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BayMinetteChickenMom, Dec 31, 2009.

1. BayMinetteChickenMom

BayMinetteChickenMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2009
    The year is going out with a bang. First thing this morning, while the light was still dim, I go out to feed my dog and find him curled up with a snake in his bed. After nearly having a heart attack, I realize the snake is dead, not a water moccasin after all but some other water snake. I dispose of snake, sit down, take a sip of coffee, and then there is a squeal from the chicken coop as something hits the electric fence. Dog and cat both go crazy. Dog chases what ever it was (most likely a coon) back into the swamp. Cat falls off 12 foot high back porch trying to watch the action. Dog chases cat back onto porch. Most remarkably, the rest of the family sleeps through the whole affair. (Did I mention I am the only one who has to work today?)

2. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    [​IMG] thats funny

3. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Loved your story! Isn't it amazing what the family can sleep through? Have a good day at work. Hope you get off early.... [​IMG]

4. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Ahhhhh... early morning on the farm ... can't wait! [​IMG]

5. Starscream4Ever

Starscream4Ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Chubsville, Duckyland
    Very interesting electric fence...... [​IMG]

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Quote:[​IMG]

Hoo-hoo! I love my electric fence even if I never have the excitement you have. [​IMG]

7. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I would not under any circumstances have chickens without electric fence protection.

Currently I am using a Zareba SP3, solar powered jobber. Got it for a Xmas present. I accidently hit the thing Tuesday evening, my feet were wet, driving rain storm. I reached down to remove a leaf off the wire. That thing hit me so hard I bit my tongue and my jaw is still sore this morning.

I got coons possums, pigs, and now coyotes on the property. check out the game cam picture. The light in the back ground is my chicken yard. Maybe 150'.

[​IMG]

8. ruffles

ruffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    How does an electric fence protect the chickens??

I have underground fencing for my dogs, but, am not using it, as coyotes and coyote puppies are killing small to medium sized dogs in the Rehoboth, Mass area, many farms and miles,miles of land.

SOOO, how does this work???

Do I have wire installed like the underground fence for dogs?? Is the fencing around the chicken area electrified??

Sandi

9. jjdward

jjdward How bout them DAWGS!

May 4, 2009
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Quote:The electric fence is installed on the outside of the chicken pen/run. Most of the time it is mounted on plastic or glass insulators mounted on the posts. I have 5 strands around mine and it works like a charm!!!

10. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:It's a physical electric fence, like used on horses and cattle. Not an invisible fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by