electric fence only?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stephenlouis, Sep 27, 2011.

1. stephenlouis

stephenlouis Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    Anyone have only a regular electric fence not netting for a run? My father in law has had chickens in a 4 wire setup for many years.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I have a 4 ft tall, 7 wire, 8000 volt fence for my sheep, and the chickens will walk right through it any time they want.

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'm with bear foot on this one. I put hot wire around my garden thinking it would keep the chickens out only to find that I wasted my time & money. The chickens got the last laugh while walking thru the wire & into the garden. Ended up building a fence around the garden.

4. hensofhallora

hensofhallora Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    I must also agree, hot wires are great for keeping out foxes but hens just dont seem to care. I watched one of my girls straddling a low hotwire. She went "BBBRRRKKK"! in time with the zap but it wasnt enough to make her get off the thing and find somewhere else to scratch.

5. stephenlouis

Jun 12, 2010
    Yeah its for keeping out daytime predators the flock are locked up at night. Im planning on using it for dividing a winter food plot for rotational grazing oats and clover. They make energizers special for poultry cuz their legs dont ground well.

6. mons02035

mons02035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Carmel, Maine
    Same here. I use the electric netting as an outside buffer to keep preditors from snacking. My garden is already fenced with that cheap wire fencing so I then surround that with the electric netting leaving a buffer zone. It won't keep the chickens in but it will ruin a foxes day if his nose hits it or paw....

7. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They make energizers special for poultry

I've never heard of those​

8. stephenlouis

Jun 12, 2010
    check with premier1 about chargers and poultry

9. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    There's nothing "poultry specific" about any of their chargers that I can see, and really their selection isn't very good.
    There are much better chargers available for those prices

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by