Electric Fence question (s) - Foxes/Coons/Skunks

featherz

Veggie Chick
13 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Saratoga County, NY
DH and I are first timers at running an electric fence, so forgive if these seem like noob questions.. After having a fox chowing down on the free range chickens, they have been confined to their coop and run for a few weeks with only supervised outings. Main predators here are foxes, coons, skunks and fisher cats. Oh, and there's always a possibility of a dog although none have visited us yet.

The coop is made from a horse run in so it's large, about 12x14, about 10 feet high. Coop itself is wood, with a tin roof. Run is about 16x16, wood with welded wire, a HW cloth skirt and up about 2 feet and covered with flight netting.

We ran two wires, on the run there's one near the bottom 6-8" and one up near the top of the run at about 5 feet. On the coop the bottom is similar and the top is about 6 feet high or so. All voltages are correct, the charger is running and we know at least the bottom wire is working to scare the critters- have scared off a very stinky skunk and our own cat.

However, I had a thought - We put the other wire up high to avoid predators that would jump the bottom wire and climb as well as those that could drop down from the trees above onto the roof (there's venting there that with work they could rip into, I believe). Now I realize the animal needs to be grounded to get shocked (duh).

If the animal climbs a welded wire fence and touches a high wire like that, will the fence itself be enough grounding for it to receive a shock? (it is touching ground via the hardware cloth).. Or do we need to attach the fence to a ground pole to properly ground it for that situation?

Also, obviously the high up wire we placed on the wood coop isn't going to work for anything smaller than a bear - since I am trying to prevent climbing predators from up top and down below, should I add one or more ground wires near that top wire?

I'll post pics if it would help!

Again, we tested all the wires with a fence tester and they are all properly grounded and pushing out a lot o' voltage (14.4 ouch). But if animal isn't on ground I am thinking no shockie. :p

Last edited:
The animal doesn't have to be on the ground to get shocked. You should have a ground rod driven into the ground mines in the ground about three feet are more & attached to the unit with wire.

I have a ground rod that's attached to the charger of course, but everything I've read says that if the animal only touches the hot wire and is not itself grounded (feet on the ground), they won't get a shock. Not true? Reading below it seems as if the fence itself would be enough of a ground for the run wire, but for the coop wire I'll need to add a ground. Not sure if I should add a wire above and below.. or would grounding the tin roof work? :)

Tall Fences
If you already have a chain-link or tall wooden fence and want to mount electric fence wires on top of it you must first ensure that the invading animal isgrounded at the moment it touches the electrified wire or wires. (See also "How does an electric fence work?") You can do this in 3 ways:
1.) For a wooden fence run a 6"-12" strip of bare chicken wire (no vinyl coating) along the fence at a place where the animal's feet will be when it touches an active (electrified) wire with a nose or paw. Then run a grounding wire (electric fence wire or insulated wire) from the chicken wire to the ground terminal on theelectric fence energizer.
2.) For a bare metal fence (chicken wire or chain link) no grounding material is needed because the fence itself is a conductor. Be sure to keep the electrified wire out of contact with the fence at all times. You will also need to run a wire from the chicken wire or chain link to the ground terminal on the electric fence energizer.
3.) You can also run a ground wire in parallel with the active wire at the top of the fence, keeping the active and ground wires at least 4" apart. In this case the animal will have to touch both wires at the same time in order to be shocked. You will also need to run a wire from the ground wire to the negative terminal on the electric fence energizer.

Last edited:
Even if the animal isn't on the ground as long as the fence is working it should get shocked (especially if it is touching something metal like your welded wire fence). You might want to run one more around the middle just for the fun of it and for extra protection, that way you will deffinitely get the intruder with one.
smack.gif

Thanks for the input guys.. :) I am thinking the run wire is fine since it HAS to touch grounded metal. Looks like it would be even better to run a wire from the welded wire fence to my ground pole which is easy enough.

There's no way the animal will be touching a ground if he tried to get in the wood coop from above OR jumps over the lower hot wire on the back, wood only, portion of the coop. Hmm. Maybe I can just staple some chicken wire to the wood behind that wire, ground THAT and then either way he goes he'll be zapped. :)

If the 'invader' is touching anything that is touching the ground, at the time that it touches the wire, it'll get shocked. They get shocked because the charge 'leaves' the wire to travel through them to the fence/wall/tree branch/ground whatever. Birds and squirrels can sit on a charged wire and not get shocked because they're not touching anything that's touching the ground. But let the squirrel step from the wire to the post...... hehehe.

If the 'invader' is touching anything that is touching the ground, at the time that it touches the wire, it'll get shocked.
Even if it's a live wire and dead wood? (coop wall).. Sorry for the noob questions! And with all that voltage I'm certainly not gonna climb on the roof and check LOL). Youch!

Yup. That's why you have to use insulators to keep the wire away from the posts and things. Doesn't matter what the thing is; wood, metal, raccoon feet.

I second the insulator idea to keep the wires away from the post.
An insulator also helps keep your electric fence system in optimum conditions.
Electric fence insulators can be made of porcelain or plastic. Make sure the insulator matches
the type of fence post you have and the type of wire you are using.

Back
Top Bottom