Electric Fence setup......with grounding instructions

Howard E

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 18, 2016
Missouri
Posted this an a thread or two, but decided it might make a good thread to it's own.

http://www.cyclopselectricfence.com/most-common-electric-fence-grounding-issues/
Don't know a whole lot about Cyclops fencers, but their instructions for setting up a fence and ground rod system are excellent.

So theory on testing the ground rod system..........goal of which is to provide near 100% certain pathway from hot wire fence back to fence charger through an earth ground. Literally the soil you stand on is the conductor that completes the circuit so the animal feels the shock. To use a golf analogy, you want to "leave nothing in the bag". Whatever potential the fence charger has to deliver a shock, you want all of it delivered. An adequate ground rod system is what allows you to achieve that.

So to test the ground system, once you have everything setup, test your fence (my suggestion is to use a digital fence tester, but if you have gullible kids or a spouse, you can try that instead), but once you know fencer is working, time to test the ground. For the test, move off some distance away from the fence charger....in a small setup, move as far away from the fencer as you can get distance wise. At that point, short out the fence using a large metal object.....steel T post, rebar rods, etc, Something you know will conduct nearly all the charge the fencer has to offer. Just one end on the wire, the other end grounded in dirt or a puddle of water, and let the big dog eat.

Then go back to your fence charger, find or install a new temp tester ground rod......say 1' long biece of rebar in wet soil, then with your fence tester, measure between the new ground and your fencer's ground. The voltage shown should be nominal......leass than 200 volts but hopefully none. Zero volts left in the soil. The poor man's tester would be to touch the new test rod ground and permanent ground rod system. You should feel no shock at all. If you feel even a tingle.....what that means is your ground system is not up to snuff. Basically, the ground system is acting like an insulator or restrictor. There is more shock to be had.....and to get that, install more ground rods. And as this literature suggests, the more oomph the fencer has, the more ground rods you need to support it. Galvanized steel ground rods.......NOT copper.

Where this really comes to the forefront is in dry soil conditions........read low conductivity soil conditions. The kicker is the animal is also standing on dry, non-conductive soil, so that almost acts like them standing on flip flops. Solution there might be to alternate hot and ground wires on the fence to short them out direct when they try to crawl through the fence? Literature describes how to do that as well.

I love my electric wire. I have had it up for many years and I believe the predators teach their young to stay away from it. I have seen places where something had started to dig under the fencing and abort the attempt. I'm sure it's the zap they get when they touch the wire. Most of the predators here seem to want to dig. Maybe it's the sandy soil so it's an easy dig.

For dry conditions:
Premier 1 claims to have a "wide impedance" charger that works better in dry conditions, the Kube 4000 model.

I haven't seen any other companies make the same claim and while some on BYC have purchased them I cannot find any reviews or real world comparisons.

I've been debating between this energizer and/or a positive/negative setup.

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered it, we'll see :)

So, I keep reading to not use "cheap" insulators for running wire but have not found information on what makes an insulator cheap. Any ideas @Howard E ?

Same for wire itself? I understand coatings or gauge could impact cost but what would identify cheap vs good electric fence wire?

I went ahead and ordered it, we'll see :)

So, I keep reading to not use "cheap" insulators for running wire but have not found information on what makes an insulator cheap. Any ideas @Howard E ?

Same for wire itself? I understand coatings or gauge could impact cost but what would identify cheap vs good electric fence wire?
How much does one of these electric fence system cost? I don't think I need it but just curious.

I haven't found much difference in insulators........just about anything from TSC or a local farm and home should work for our purposes. No need for the porcelain types either. I think the one's I've used say Red Snap'r on them. They are not that expensive, so if one doesn't work, try another.

Wire and poly rope are a different story. When using wire, I prefer the 17 gauge aluminum......softer and easier to work with. Poly rope comes in different grades, which mostly relate to how much wire stranding is in the rope. A light rope has less wire and shows more resistance.......which might matter on longer runs.......but probably not for us with runs of only a few hundred feet or less. You might find less shock with a light poly rope. When I"ve tested the poly tapes, they run as hot as the wire does.

Aluminum wire, in the long run, is more durable if you are putting up a permanent fence. If you use wire, make sure you also get the ratchet style "strainers"........used to tighten the wire. The tension on aluminum wire will flow through the 90 degree turn of a corner. Less so with the 14 gauge steel wire. For our purposes, no need to go as far as the high tensile stuff. That is for miles and miles of large animal livestock fence.

Back
Top Bottom