Electric Fence with Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ilovemyladies!, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    We are getting an electric fence for our horses. Will it be okay for my chickens to be near it??

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

We have had our free range chickens under and around electric fence for years. I never thought about what would happen if they touched it. So far no problem. Actually it would be amazing if they hadn't touched it at some point. It's very low to the ground in places... [​IMG]

3. Kaceyx73

Kaceyx73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    I had thought once about using an electric fence on a switch to keep nighttime predators, and especially early morning dogs at bay. I have been meaning to ask how bad it is for chickens, and you beat me to it. Im also waiting for answers.

Ken

4. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    no it will not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY
    I have both electric horse fencing and electric poultry net. If a chicken steps on a downed wire it may get a zap, but mostly, chicken feathers have some insulting qualities that protect the bird. I have not had a problem with chickens and electric fencing.

6. Kaceyx73

Kaceyx73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2010
    Electric poultry fence? Is it any different than a regular type? I was hoping to attach one to my chicken wire to leave on at night.

Ken

7. WGB

WGB Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2008
    Works good! You'll get a good laugh when they touch the fence.

8. peteyfoozer

peteyfoozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    SE Oregon
    Make sure your charger pulses and isn't a constant current. We have one that is constant and a calf got wrapped up in it and it killed him. The pulsing ones are okay.

9. LittleDarlings

LittleDarlings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Madison, GA
    peteyfoozer
    Make sure your charger pulses and isn't a constant current. We have one that is constant and a calf got wrapped up in it and it killed him. The pulsing ones are okay.

OMGosh!! That's so sad! [​IMG] I don't have an electric fence...yet, but I didn't realize they were that strong! Thanks for the tip! [​IMG]

10. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    If they managed to get shocked they will learn to avoid it just like any other animal. They are fairly well insulated though and generally don't get shocked through dry feathers. We use an electric wire to keep them from perching on the watering lines in the hen house. The first week we have new pullets in there, they learn really fast not to perch on the watering lines and after that we shut off the charger. We don't have too many problems after that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by