electric fence works good

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bdp7150, Nov 16, 2008.

1. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    FYI i installed a electric fence on my coop 6 inches from ground ,because of cats and dog messing with chickens . after installed one day i heard noise at coop area and look outside and there was that cat walking around the coop he got to close and the fence bit him and you would of thought that he stepped on a land mine ,jump 3 ft in air and run off ,then the dog showed up that night same thing heard noise and look that dog he was a little more brave chasing chicks around the coop run and all the sudden bam he got it . so he ran around the other side and tried it again and bam he got it again . so i have not seen the cat or dog again which is what i wanted to protect my girls . ps i'm running 3 joules on the charger which is a good pop. the charger was 19.99 at farm store .

2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

That's a great story and a good $20 investment.

3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    It is amazing what an electric fence will do. You could probably turn the fence off after a week or so and it will still deter the dog & cat.

We use them to keep the cows in the cornstalks & wheat when harvest is done.

I have seen them used on the inside of a dog fence when the dog was digging out. The dog only got bit twice and never tried it again, even after the fence was turned off.

4. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    I'm very impressed that you were able to find such a cheap charger!

I have not yet put up my electric fence, but I've bought the components for it. I got a solar charger, since there is no convenient electric outlet. I also got one that may be stronger than I need, since I may be expanding the area covered in the future. I am looking forward to a few doggie yelps once I get it installed!

Yes, I know, that sounds mean. [​IMG] I have reinforced my chicken pen so my dogs can't break into it, but one of them spends a large portion of his day staring at the birds and circling the pen. I have a great desire to discourage this behavior. [​IMG]

Speaking of electric fences, I am NOT looking forward to the part about pounding the ground rods into the ground. I live on solid limestone, so I am not at all sure how much grounding I'm actually going to be able to create. I may end up having to use a two wire system (hot wire plus ground wire), but I hope not!

5. bdp7150

bdp7150 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:orslheans farm store where i got the charger . charger and wire connector was total $42.00 it's for 3 mile i only use 45 ft on wire the charge is nice and hot.and on ground rod fine some one with a t - post hand drive this make putting grund rod alot easier.the solar one make sureplace it on coop where that it see the most sun during day for those days that of no sun.

6. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Quote:Unfortunately, nothing short of a jackhammer is likely to get very deep under my soil surface. When I bought this place I put in about 7-800 feet of chain link fencing. Along the side of the property where the coop is, all but one of the fence posts had to be jackhammered! [​IMG]

I am planning to use several short ground rods instead of two long ones. Since the ground is pretty moist in that area, I'm hoping that'll be sufficient. We Shall See!

7. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:Are you should the charger is not a .3 joule? For the cheapest I have ever found a 3 joule charger is $125 and the was on sale. I am running a Starfix 36 joule now, but I am trying to keep bear out. It works great unless you forget to turn it on after working on it. When a bear hit the hot wire, you can hear it a half mile away. Haven't ever had a dog or cat touch it to my knowledge. I did one time, I learned my lesson.
    It took me some time to get the feeling back in that hand.

8. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Quote:Are you should the charger is not a .3 joule? For the cheapest I have ever found a 3 joule charger is $125 and the was on sale. I am running a Starfix 36 joule now, but I am trying to keep bear out. It works great unless you forget to turn it on after working on it. When a bear hit the hot wire, you can hear it a half mile away. Haven't ever had a dog or cat touch it to my knowledge. I did one time, I learned my lesson.
    It took me some time to get the feeling back in that hand.

That's smarts when one touches the electric fence isn't it Panner? LOL I don't know if I told you the story of the electrican's helper who I'd warned 3 times "that ribbion is live" who ended up touching a different one but never the less I had the electrican standing in front of me at the end of the day say "Your electric fence is working *very well* & bing bat there thought he'd touch it just to make sure it did." And so I said "I thought a real electrian would have one of those real testers?" & the electrican says "yea we do. But this guy for some reason just reached out & grabbed the wire!" LOL I don't think this guy thought it was working? Felt bad for him though cause hubby said he's touched just the ribbion kind a couple of times & according to him he was dizzy for a good while... LOL

So you're keeping out a bear huh? The electric fence can be very effective & it was just a ribbion here, but those cubs wailed like there was no tomorrow....

9. frizzylizzy

frizzylizzy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2007
    Word of advise- never hit a hot wire with the top of your head. It makes your teeth pop. Not a pleasant feeling.

When my son was about 3 years old, he managed to grab onto the hotwire and the wire fence together - while I was inside the pasture and he was outside. He couldn't let go and I couldn't get him loose from the inside. I had to run thru the barn and around the side to get to him. Seemed to take forever. He was ok. Boy did that scare me!

Hotwires are fantastic for protecting and enclosing all types of animals. Be careful though- some animals can sense when they are on or off.

Elizabeth

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by