Electric fence

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kari9438, May 4, 2017.

1. kari9438

kari9438 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    I'm getting ready to put my chickens outside. I've heard of several chicken keepers loosing all their chickens to weasels in our area.

I'm going to be putting premier 1 poultry netting around the outdoor coop. I want to be able to love the fence and the coop around the fertilize and eat bugs. Can a weasel dig under an electric fence?

2. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Good question. Weasels are diggers in addition to being climbers..........basically formidable and vicious little killers all around.

But would they dig under poultry netting? Two issues......mostly they are nocturnal, so do most of their damage at night when presumably the birds are locked up tight. Secondly, my guess is they would first try to climb through the netting instead of digging under it and would get zapped in the process. Once zapped, almost all zappee's move on, not wiling to accept another jolt of volt.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I agree with what's been said and will add they will also use the tunnels that are preexisting. And other animals in the weasel family people may not consider are skunks. Yep, they eat chicken too.

4. silarajc

silarajc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2017
    Western Missouri
  5. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    I patterned my 4 wire system after what Robert describes in that link. I find it works well, and with the wire system, you are able to enclose a much larger area for less expense and easier maintenance than using the poultry netting. Again, he suggests only 1 and 2 wire systems and claim they work well for him, and even more so with really large enclosures measured in acres. With my smaller area, I found the addition of the extra 2 wires (4 in all) to work best for me. BTW, the spacing from the ground is simply the 4 lowest clip points on those white step in posts. Those make the install a straight forward, easy process.

Poultry netting is a much tighter defense, but the strands are closer to the ground than with the wire, so grounding of the fencer is a concern. The fencer still shocks, at least while the battery is hot, but weeds will drain the power source faster. That may not be as much of an issue if you use an AC powered charger. Parmak makes one of those that is pretty potent as well.

Again, with weasels, they could slip through a fence like that with ease if it were only the fence. But a hot fence? My guess is they would get zapped and that might well deter them.

But if you know you have one, trapping ain't a bad option either. Better safe than sorry.

Lastly, I'm convinced that a lot of predator problems with weasels, skunks, snakes and such are our own fault. Most references say that the vast majority of a weasel's diet consists of rodents in the form of rats and mice and other burrowing rodents like gophers and moles. So we let the birds waste a lot of feed, the rats and mice move in to clean up the waste feed, multiply like rats and mice and the weasels then sense they are there and move in to take out the rats and mice. But being opportunistic killers as they are, quickly transition to our birds and just might kill them ALL in one frenzied attack. Not to eat em, just to kill em. Once they go into attack mode, they attach movement. They are good at it and go for the necks at the back of the head......kill that bird and move on to the next until there is nothing left to kill. Then they go home. Same with snakes. They come for the mice and rats, and find eggs and help themselves to those too.

6. kari9438

kari9438 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    Thanks for all the responses. We live right next to the woods and I've been so worried about keeping the chickens safe from the many and various predators.

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Some chickens learn how to fly over the netting and even though they touch it on their way over... because they themselves are not grounded they never even receive a shock.

I am also getting my E fencing figured out right now... and in the PNW don't wanna be weed eating every day to keep the line clear. So probably just use it in my open pasture. Actually mine is more about keeping my stags separate from my hens. And then maybe keeping my hens of my patio as well. Plus keeping the goats of the fence... who stick their heads through and then rock with all their body weight to reach farther and farther to the other side where they do seem to thing the grass is always greener!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by