electric fence

crooked stripe

Songster
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
N.E Ohio- Suffield
I have a 3 year old beagle that digs under my fence. I installed a pet electric fence a foot or so above the ground and that stopped that. How will my soon to hatch chickens react to the fence? Will it kill them if they peck it?
I think the dog will be fine with the chickens due to the fact he doesn't acknowledge the crows, pigeons and pheasants who stop to visit. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
John

The chickens will be fine with the fence. I have one around the bottom of my run and they have stuck thier head through before while i was there and while i'm sure they didn't like it, it also didn't kill them. Just a squawk and run away from the fence.

pet electric fence uses a collar dose it not?

IF not the electric fence that tractor supply sells that is for small livestock and pets , shows a chicken on it, so that would be ok.

If this is a hot fence, (electrocutes when touched by anything) then the damage it will do is based on the jules.

The electric fence I purchased only puts out 1000 volts. It said it is good for all small short haired animals. One hot wire runs around the perimeter. The grounding system is 2 ground rods pounded into the ground. I have bumped into it and it feels like a hard punch in the arm. It is not a steady flow of electric. It pulses say every second. If the animal touches it in between pulses the animal missed the shock.
John

Last edited:
John I tried one of those as well but it didn't work for me. I might have gotten a bad brand (must admit I purchased the cheapest one they had, but the time between pulses were to long , so sometimes the dog was shocked and sometimes, not. The Husky finally got out, and the mutt was so confused she became afraid of the pen.

I went back to using the shock collar method on the Husky, the mutt dose not try to leave the pen. so all is well there.

we used one for a while to keep the cats in the yard (talk about an insteresting install).. Anyway, yeah it's got a pretty good jolt. My hand bumped in to it once and man, from the tip of my finger to my elbow was tingling for about an hour.

Pipermark, I found that at first my grounding system wasn't good enough the ground was to dry. I installed the second 8' ground rod and that did the trick. The instructions suggested 3 ground rods to make a good system. John

I used 3 ground rounds, a friend of mine who is an electrician, checked my work for me. I am pretty sure it worked as it did becauase it was either
1. faulty
2. cheap and it just didnt work well.

I have an electric poultry fence I got from Wellscroft fencing (I think). It packs a bit of a wallop, the chickens don't go through it but they do fly over the top when they are bored being inside.

Back
Top Bottom