Electric Fence

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bandera Grassland, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Bandera Grassland

Bandera Grassland Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2010
    Does anyone have experience with using electrified poultry netting? If so, what is the recommended voltage for chickens? I'm concerned for my chickens safety because I have a hot wire around my oat patch to keep out feral hogs. I use a Satfix M6 energizer that powers out 7800 volts. My chickens are beginning to range near the oats. I would love for them to go in and eat, but I'm worried about what may happen if they hit that hot wire. Is it enough electricity to kill a chicken?

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Why don't you turn it off during the day. Hogs are normally nocturnal. My hot wire is on a timer.

3. Brahma Mamma

Brahma Mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    This is what we use:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/species.php?source=google&gclid=CLuY5KCS4aQCFYlY2god73PNLg

One mid-morning I heard our flock that lives out in the field (they stay in a travel trailer at night) sounded the alarm big time. I ran down there with our shotgun and there, outside that wonderful feather net electric fence, was a coyote just standing at the fence staring at the chickens (who were staring back-duh...). So, this fence works great (we've seen weasel AND racoon track around it) AND it's movable!!!

Yeah!

[​IMG]

4. Brahma Mamma

Mar 16, 2010
    Oh, and, the fence might zap them but it won't hurt them.

5. Bandera Grassland

Oct 19, 2010
    I thought of a timer, but my chickens internal clock mimics those of the hogs. Many of my hogs come up during the day as well, but the majority (about 50 I counted in the oats a couple of days ago) go off during the day and return in the evening. My chickens aren't ready to come in until right at dusk. Just before then is a hatch of bugs and everyone gets really excited chasing the "night bugs". The hogs arrive before dark also and enter the oats. If I set the electric fence to come on when the chickens go to bed, I would be locking the hogs IN the oats at night.

I keep coming back to the idea of building a ramp the chickens can use to walk over the electric wire (something too small for the pigs to use). Even so, what happens if one accidentally touches a hot wire. Does anyone know what the tolerance level is for poultry? I sent an inquiry to Stafix, but have not received a reply.

6. Bandera Grassland

Oct 19, 2010
    Question for Brahma Mamma:
    Wht size is your charger--how many volts?

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Even so, what happens if one accidentally touches a hot wire. Does anyone know what the tolerance level is for poultry? I sent an inquiry to Stafix, but have not received a reply.

They squawk LOUDLY and move MUCH faster

Otherwise there are no ill effects

You may be getting 7800 volts AT the charger, but actual voltage on the netting will be a LOT less​

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  8. Brahma Mamma

Mar 16, 2010
    Quote:It is 8000 volts. We have it powered by a series of connected electric cords...

9. Bandera Grassland

Oct 19, 2010
    Thank you! I feel Soooo much better now.

10. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    As in Bandera Texas? If so I do know down the river around Rio Medina the hog numbers are really climbing. I'm getting ready to set some traps. Mmmmmm hog meat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by