Electric Fence

Bandera Grassland

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
Does anyone have experience with using electrified poultry netting? If so, what is the recommended voltage for chickens? I'm concerned for my chickens safety because I have a hot wire around my oat patch to keep out feral hogs. I use a Satfix M6 energizer that powers out 7800 volts. My chickens are beginning to range near the oats. I would love for them to go in and eat, but I'm worried about what may happen if they hit that hot wire. Is it enough electricity to kill a chicken?

This is what we use:

http://www.premier1supplies.com/poultry/species.php?source=google&gclid=CLuY5KCS4aQCFYlY2god73PNLg

One mid-morning I heard our flock that lives out in the field (they stay in a travel trailer at night) sounded the alarm big time. I ran down there with our shotgun and there, outside that wonderful feather net electric fence, was a coyote just standing at the fence staring at the chickens (who were staring back-duh...). So, this fence works great (we've seen weasel AND racoon track around it) AND it's movable!!!

Yeah!

February2010091.jpg

I thought of a timer, but my chickens internal clock mimics those of the hogs. Many of my hogs come up during the day as well, but the majority (about 50 I counted in the oats a couple of days ago) go off during the day and return in the evening. My chickens aren't ready to come in until right at dusk. Just before then is a hatch of bugs and everyone gets really excited chasing the "night bugs". The hogs arrive before dark also and enter the oats. If I set the electric fence to come on when the chickens go to bed, I would be locking the hogs IN the oats at night.

I keep coming back to the idea of building a ramp the chickens can use to walk over the electric wire (something too small for the pigs to use). Even so, what happens if one accidentally touches a hot wire. Does anyone know what the tolerance level is for poultry? I sent an inquiry to Stafix, but have not received a reply.

Even so, what happens if one accidentally touches a hot wire. Does anyone know what the tolerance level is for poultry? I sent an inquiry to Stafix, but have not received a reply.

They squawk LOUDLY and move MUCH faster

Otherwise there are no ill effects

You may be getting 7800 volts AT the charger, but actual voltage on the netting will be a LOT less​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom