Electric Fence

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BOs and Silkie, Jul 18, 2011.

1. BOs and Silkie

BOs and Silkie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    NJ
    I hate to do this, but I think I might need an electric fence to keep away predators. I have sooo many predators lurking around my backyard:([​IMG]
    I have hardware cloth on the bottom on my coop/run and grass can't grow through it, but it protects form borrowing predators. Is the an electric fence where i can put it under the run so the chickens can have fresh grass? Where can I get an electric fence?

2. littlefork

littlefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    I'm not sure what you mean by putting the fence under the run but if you do a search you will find all kinds of info on electric fences.
    Since I had not had any experience with electric fencing I purchased electro net, its netting with posts already attached, seems simple to put up, can be moved if necessary and can be added to later. I bought mine from Premier 1, they sent me a catalog with lots of info and are very helpful when I called them with stupid questions. I bought a battery one with a solar charger. It comes in different heights and lengths so it can be customized to fit almost any situation. I haven't put mine up yet, we are still working on finishing the run, so I can't tell you how well it works but I think it will be perfect for our situation.

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Stop feeling sorry for the predators! they don't feel sorry for you and your birds and a EF simply educates them to stay away, it doesn't kill them on contact.

Set the EF in a perimeter around the yard, most systems are capable of covering a large area so size doesn't matter. Get a charger capable of about a 5 joule charge and use the pre-insulated step-in posts. Run your bottom wire a few inches off the ground (off the dirt, not the grass) Run the second strand about 4 inches above the first, run the top strand as high as the post allows, then divide the gap between #2 strand and the top with the 3rd strand.

All this is available either at a local farm or feed supply store or off the internet and is much cheaper than conventinal fencing. The chickens will rarely be zapped as I think their feathers insulate them but it makes it hard to contain them in the safe zone. If this is a issue, drap deer netting on the EF to help keep them safe

4. LivingRootsFarm

LivingRootsFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2011
    Samsula
    I got my electric fencing from Premier 1 also. I have two of the semi-permanent fence piece that makes my fencing 200' long. I have my coop as the "hub" with a range coop that I move around with the fencing. I have raccoon and hawk problems. The electric fence takes care of the raccoons (and keeps my dogs away) and the range coop provides additional shelter from the hawks while they are free ranging. Premier 1 was a easy company to deal with and the fencing I put up by myself!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by